Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Old Clothes


Today, the Lord apparently wanted me to have a ready-made illustration to ponder during my devotional time.  I had to laugh as I read today's verses, Hebrews 1:10-12 (NET).

   
And,
     
“ You founded the earth in the beginning , Lord , 
     
and the heavens are the works of your hands .
       
They will perish, but you continue .
     
And they will all grow old like a garment ,
       
and like a robe you will fold them up
     
and like a garment they will be changed,
     
but you are the same and your years will never run out .”


When I got dressed this morning, I put on some old clothes.  Although our weather is beginning to turn "Autumn-ish", we are still wearing warmer weather clothes here in the South.  I turned to an old pair of shorts and matching top that I purchased 25 years ago.  No lie.  They still fit.  They still feel good.  They are comfortable.  I have some other clothes that I still wear occasionally, from the same decade.

But, eventually, all clothes grow old.  They wear thin, develop moth holes, rip.  When that happens, we "change or exchange" them.  In other words, we either tear them up for cleaning rags.  Or, we donate them.  Sometimes we simply throw them away.

The same is true of all creation, everything Jesus Christ made in "the beginning".  It is all aging, deteriorating, "perishing".  One day, the Ageless One will "fold up" the heavens and the earth and then create brand, spanking new ones.   Yes, it will be no more difficult for our omnipotent Savior to "roll up" all creation than it would be for us to roll up a bunch of clothes to take to the thrift store.

Bruce puts it like this:
"As one man in his lifetime outlives many successive suits of clothes, so God has seen and will yet see many successive material universes, but He Himself is eternal and unchanging."
Can you even imagine that?

This quotation in Hebrews is from the Old Testament, Psalm 102:25-27.  Let's look at those verses (in the NET version) for comparison (just so you'll believe me, lol!)

In earlier times you established the earth; the skies are your handiwork.     They will perish, but you will endure.  They will wear out like a garment; like clothes you will remove them and they will disappear. But you remain;  your years do not come to an end.

Our clothes don't last forever.  Our bodies don't either.  However, our spirits are eternal and will live somewhere after our bodies are long gone.  By the grace of God, each of us gets to choose where our spirit's next (and final) destination will be.  It will either be in torment in Hell, apart from the loving God who longs to rescue us with salvation in this life.  Or, it will be with our Savior, to whom we surrender our hearts and lives while wearing this mortal body.

He is eternal.  From ages past and through ages future, He remains "very God of very God", exercising his Personhood within that extraordinary enigma we refer to as "the Holy and Blessed Trinity".  God in Three Persons....wow....Son, Creator, Sustainer, Universal Heir...Eternal God.

Oh Lord, as I contemplate Your beautiful creation, Your magnificence on display, I am stunned to realize that it is but a mere shadow of how great You truly are.  It is but a poor token of Your might, power and beauty.  How blessed I am to serve "the only wise God, my Savior, to whom be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and forever, amen." (Jude 1:25)

Sources:

Bruce, F. F. The Epistle to the Hebrews. Grand Rapids, MI: William B. Eerdmans, 1990. Kindle edition.

Cockerill, Gareth Lee. The Epistle to the Hebrews. Grand Rapids, MI: William B. Eerdmans, 2012. Kindle edition.




10 comments:

  1. Amen! What a good word today!
    I found your post on The Loft.
    Glad to find your website.
    Hope you have a blessed day~
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for visiting, Melanie. I'm glad you received a blessing and hope you'll come back!

      Delete
  2. I found you on the Loft today. What a great post. I love thinking about God making all things new, and love the parallel between our ease with rolling up our old clothes and God's ease one day in rolling up all of Creation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you just love the fellowship at The Loft? Thanks so much for reading my post today!

      Delete
  3. Gena. Amen Girl. A good word for today. Reminds me too that we can't put on the new with taking off the old. Imagine standing naked before the Lord and He gives you the most beautiful gown not even a fairy godmother could come up with. ha. Thanks for sharing at the Loft

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is an excellent point, Christine. I am so glad you mentioned it. Very true! Thanks for reading my post here at The Loft today!

      Delete
  4. I loved this, Gena. As one who loves getting new clothes, I had to chuckle at the idea of rolling up the old ones ... I tend to store them thinking I can use them again some time. Glad God will make everything "brand, spanking new!"

    Thanks for sharing at The Loft.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jerralea, I love new clothes too but also enjoy wearing things for years and years, just for the fun of it! Thanks for visiting and commenting!

      Delete
  5. Hallelujah!!! I needed this today, Gena. I too have some clothing items that I've worn and enjoyed for many years. Favorites, indeed! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blessings to you too, Lora! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete