Thursday, April 16, 2020

From the Birds

4/2/20
House wrens are so called because they love to build their nests in eaves, porch overhangs and in other crevices of homes here in the South.  They are small, rather nondescript brown birds, with a long-ish beak.  Several live on our property.

Our house has a front porch, with a pot of ivy on a plant stand beside the front door.  The plant is very hardy; otherwise, I would have killed it by now.  Each year, a house wren burrows down into the planter to build a nest.  This year, she produced 4 eggs, pictured above.

The poor bird's nesting season has not been free from trouble.  All three of us quarantined "inmates" have enjoyed soaking up the sun on the front porch in the afternoons.  Although we have tried to be generous, we have frustrated mama bird, no doubt.  Yesterday, Hubs came inside saying she had "run him off".  When I asked how she did that, he replied that she "makes her presence known" and won't approach the nest while he is out there.

Remarkably, she has become a bit accustomed to us, allowing me to peer into the nest while she is roosting, as long as I don't get too close.  For days, I would go out and take a peek.  If she was on the nest, I would back away.  But, I got the photo one day while she was out. 
It seemed to take too long for the eggs to hatch.  I was worried we had disrupted the natural course of things so much that they would no longer be viable.  Then, there was the tornado warning the night of Easter Monday... I lamented, as Hubs re-arranged the patio furniture, that high winds might blow the planter off its perch and harm our little avian "family".  Hubs replied if that happened, we'd have much bigger problems than a nest of birds.

Still, I fretted.  Maybe they would hatch on Easter?  No.  The day after?  No.
Finally, on Tuesday after Easter, I peered in and saw four little birdie bodies, newly hatched.  Based on previous experience, in no time they will "fly the coop".

"His Eye is on the Sparrow"....

This well-known gospel song is a favorite of my cousin Robert's, who would often sing it in church when I was a child.  The song was inspired by Jesus' words in Matthew 10:29 and also 6:26.

Are not two sparrows sold for a copper coin? And not one of them falls to the ground apart from your Father’s will.
Matthew 10:29 (NKJV)

Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?
Matthew 6:26 (ESV)

I had already planned to blog on this topic today, because it is so relevant to the many anxieties we allow ourselves to stumble into during this Time of the 'Rona.
Then, this morning in my devotional reading, the text was Psalm 84.  Look at verses 3-4.
Isn't God good!

3Even the sparrow has found a home,
and the swallow a nest for herself,
where she places her young near Your altars,
O LORD of Hosts, my King and my God.
4How blessed are those who dwell in Your house;
they are ever praising You.
Psalm 84:3-4 (BSB)

"...she places her young near Your altars..." 
I know this is poetic language, but wow!
She does her best and then trusts God.  Oh, may I do that, concerning my "young"!

Not all birds "make it".  The Berry College Eagles lost both their eggs this season.1
Yet, no matter what, God is in control.  Trust His plan and His timing.
As many of us are "dwelling in our houses" during these 'Rona Days, may we also seek to dwell in His house, and to ever be praising Him!

Source:

1.   berry.edu/eaglecam

2 comments:

  1. For us, it's barn swallows. Especially on the ceiling of the hay barn. They make a mess, but at the same time there's something comforting in knowing that generation after generation, they always find their way back home. I wonder if God hopes the same hopes for us. God's blessings ma'am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your visits here are always a welcome sight, J.D. I read that house wrens have a lifespan of about 7 years. Ours seem to return to the planter, year after year. Blessings! Gena

      Delete