Monday, July 13, 2015

The Dressing Room

Good morning,

This is the time of the year that many Americans go on vacation, many of them to either the mountains or to the beach.  Why is it that the beach is so relaxing, so inspiring?  Could it be that the might and majesty of those huge waters remind something in each person that our Creator is real and in control?  Today's text is Psalm 93:1-5, the entire psalm, actually.

93 The Lord reigneth, he is clothed with majesty; the Lord is clothed with strength, wherewith he hath girded himself: the world also is stablished, that it cannot be moved.
Thy throne is established of old: thou art from everlasting.
The floods have lifted up, O Lord, the floods have lifted up their voice; the floods lift up their waves.
The Lord on high is mightier than the noise of many waters, yea, than the mighty waves of the sea.
Thy testimonies are very sure: holiness becometh thine house, O Lord, for ever.

As mighty are the ocean waves or the power of a rushing river, even greater is the power of the One and Only.  Jehovah God is all-mighty.  Verse 1 says that He dresses Himself in strength...and always has.  He is "from everlasting".  Can we even conceive of that?

On this special day in my life, it is glorious to meditate on the One I chose to serve, as a youth, and whom I continue to follow.  Why?  Because there is no One who is greater and I can trust that (vs. 5) His testimonies are very certain.  "What He says, goes."  It always has.

Practically every day of our lives, women think about "how they look", and especially so on their birthdays.  Today, I am 57 years old, in my body.  But, of a certainty, my soul and spirit, created nearly 58 years ago, will live forever.  "I will dwell in the house of the Lord, forever," declared David, in Psalm 23.  Verse 5 of Psalm 93 tells us that the Lord's house is characterized by holiness.  Only those holy will be allowed to enter.  I thank Him today for the holiness He gave me when I accepted His only, begotten Son, 48 years ago, here in The Dressing Room.  My desire is to walk in holiness, to the best of my ongoing, deepening understanding, for the rest of my earthly life, however long that may be.

What are you "wearing" today?  With what are you clothing yourself?  If you are trusting in your own righteousness, or following after some other lesser god, you are dressed in "filthy rags", according to Isaiah 64:6. Who wants to wear that?!  The only holiness in us has been produced by our regeneration and transformation by the Holy Spirit, God Himself.

Do your spiritual clothes "become" you?  We used to say as a compliment, "That's very becoming on you!"  It meant, "That looks so good on you!"  If we are wearing the spiritual clothes, the "robe of righteousness" given to you by the Savior on your "spiritual birthday", you will look GOOD!  In a similar way holiness "becomes" the house of the Lord.  Only the righteous (those with thhe righteousness of Jesus Christ) will enter there.  What are you putting on here, in The Dressing Room?

I delight greatly in the LORD; my soul rejoices in my God. For he has clothed me with garments of salvation and arrayed me in a robe of his righteousness, as a bridegroom adorns his head like a priest, and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.
Isaiah 61:10  NIV

Good morning, Holy Father!  Thank you for another day of life, a day in which to worship and follow hard after You.  Whether it is my last or whether it is followed by many more here, I long to have more of You today, and more and more, for eternity.  Thank you for my beautiful spiritual clothes, that gorgeous robe of righteousness which can never be taken away, and which I will wear forever.  In Jesus' name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment