Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Needful Things

Good morning,

Sorry to disappoint you but this post is not going to be about that really terrible (according to reviewers - - I didn't see it) movie with this title, based on a Stephen King horror novel of the same title. No, this post is about taking care of what is most important.

Being an inexperienced blogger when I began, I did not take the time to tag my blog posts or to record the scripture verses used in each one.  Well, now there are 347 posts!  And, what I need to do, before the craziness of my 10-month work year begins, is to take some time and do just that.  Today is that appointed day; today, this task is the most "needful thing".

 But one thing is needed, and Mary has chosen that good part, which will not be taken away from her.”
Luke 10:42 (NKJV)

The necessary, although often tedious tasks, are not always fun (although this one will be interesting). If we don't do them, however, we often find our effectiveness diminished.  Life is a balancing act, where we often struggle to keep "all the balls in the air".  It is critical that we correctly order our priorities, as Mary did in this Bible story.

In the Luke 10 passage, Mary and Martha had houseguests, one of whom was Jesus.  Rather than focusing on less important tasks, as Martha did, Mary chose to sit at Jesus' feet and learn from Him. In so doing, she exercised her faith in Him, becoming a more devoted disciple/follower of Him and His ways.  Our relationship with the Lord is always going to be our "most needful thing", our highest priority. If this relationship is right, all other relationships and tasks will fall in line.

I challenge you to do that today: think about all that you have going on, and see if you are taking care of "the needful things".  Make sure that your relationship with Him is #1.

Good morning, Lord, sometimes I feel like I flit around from thing to thing during the day, accomplishing nothing.  I know that's not true, exactly, but it feels that way.  One thing I can be sure of, though, if I have started the day by seeking You, meditating on Your word and spending time with You in prayer, I've started the day well.  What a blessing to be Your child!   In Jesus' name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment