Friday, December 20, 2019

Advent Day 20: A Poop Lesson



I love my dog.  I really do.  But, there are times....

Last night, I took Charlie out for his final potty trip of the day.  It was dark, and I did not have the foresight (pun intended) to bring a flashlight with me.  We wandered around to his usual spots beside the road, where he "did his business".  On the way back down the driveway, he veered off.   I rightly assumed he had more "business" to conduct. 

However...as I held to my end of the leash and stepped with him into the woods on the outskirts of our property, I felt my boot mire up into something suspiciously mushy.  I could not see what it was, of course; but, I strongly suspected.

Sure enough, when I got back into the light, the mysterious material was revealed.  Yep, it was animal poop.  Needless to say, I was less than thrilled.

What is the point of my relating that sordid tale?  And, in an Advent post, no less?

At Advent, we remember the importance of light. 

There is so much spiritual darkness today, seemingly increasing by leaps and bounds.  Lost people are stumbling and falling at every turn.  At Advent, we light candles to symbolize the Light of the World condescending to us.  Without Him, regardless of our boastful pronouncements to the contrary, we are merely stumbling around in the woods, lost, walking in circles, stepping in poop, because we can't see where we are headed.

Last night, I was thinking about this and about The Law of the Old Testament.  Why?

Because The Law was given to show us our sinfulness before a holy God, who knew we would be unable to fully "keep it" in our daily lives.  Too often, we "step in the poop".  The Law was given to point people to God, to show them how needful they were (and we still are today), in desperate need of Light, the Light of the World, the Savior of the World - - Jesus.

JESUS was given to BE that Light Who Saves.  Unlike The Law, Jesus does more than shine a light on our sinfulness.  He takes care of it, paying our sin debt on our behalf. It is Messiah Jesus (Yeshuah HaMashiach) whose coming was prophesied in Isaiah 9.

2c The people who walked in darkness
have seen a great light;
those who dwelt in a land of deep darkness,
on them has light shone.
Isaiah 9:2

The Jews rightly believed this prophecy applied to them, and it does!  But, it also applies to Gentiles, "to ALL people" as the angel heralds proclaimed on the night of His birth, when light filled the sky over Bethlehem.  Isaiah prophesied that the nation of Israel would not be the only recipients of God's mercy. Even then, hope was given to the Gentiles ("goyim", in the Orthodox Jewish Bible).  Hallelujah!

And nations (Gentiles) shall come to your light, and kings to the brightness of your rising. 
Isaiah 60:3

Today, I am so thankful The Light of the World lives in me.  His light shines into my darkest places, exposing my sin and calling me to confession, purification, restoration.  He calls me deeper into relationship with Him, so that when I do see Him at last, He won't be a stranger.  In the clear light of that heavenly day I will recognize Him as, not only the Light of the World, but as my dearest Friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment