Friday, December 13, 2019

Advent Day 13 - Cookies for a Godly Man


Good morning!

"When morning gilds the skies, my heart awaking cries, 'May Jesus Christ be praised!' "
Those are the words from an old hymn I love. 1 When the skies begin to lighten, I automatically wake up and have to get up, because I usually can't go back to sleep.

So, here before 8:00 a.m. on this wintry morning, I have been up for a bit, am drinking my coffee and contemplating this Advent day.  We are now over halfway through the season; the "big day" approaches like a speeding train.  There are still things to do, people to bless.

Today is one such day.  Do you have a favorite Christmas cookie recipe?  I do.  It is a shortbread cookie, with a small dollop (can a dollop, by definition, BE small?!) of berry jam in the center, and then drizzled with an almond sugar glaze.  They are "divine"!  They are also a "pain" to make, which is why I only make them in December.

My hubster has been richly blessed with a sweet mentor of over 50 years, Tom.  Tom and his wife, Mary, live about an hour from us.  That precious man LOVES my Christmas cookies, and his wife loves my (equally renowned) chocolate fudge.   So, guess what I am going to be doing this morning?
Making cookies and fudge!  Then, this afternoon, we are planning to take them to them, sharing Advent joy!  They are so old...every year I fear will be our last to bless them in this way...

This morning, I was reading in my usual morning Bible time the books of Ephesians and Titus.  Paul wrote his letter to his younger protege and "church builder", Titus, after being released from his lengthy imprisonment in Rome, near the end of his ministry.  The book deals with the qualifications of church leaders. (Titus 1:6-9, 2:1-5)  Both my husband, one of God's most precious gifts to me, and this godly man we are going to visit, are leaders in their churches.  They exemplify these qualifications.  What blessings!  You can call them elders or trustees or bishops or overseers or whatever manly term you want to use.  The actual Greek word used is "episkopon" from which we get the ecclesiastical terms "episcopal" and "episcopalian".  Titus 2 also gives admonitions to the elder women in the church, as to how they should teach and lead the younger women.  (I wrote a blog post a while back about the qualifications of church leaders.  You can read it here, if you are so inclined:  https://resplendentdaughter.blogspot.com/2018/04/blameless.html )

On the other end of the spiritual and emotional scale, I am thinking this morning of those who are facing this season without their most beloveds.  At the nursing home we visited with Santa the other night, one elderly lady broke down in tears as she told us of the recent loss of her husband.  Another person who lives there, a man, told a similar story of the recent loss of his wife.  One of our favorite members of that community died last month.  Earlier this week, we drove to a distant town to pay our respects and comfort a friend who suddenly lost her husband of 50 years.  She was obviously in total shock over it.  All of that grief can come crashing down onto a person at this "joyous" time of year.  So, if you know of anyone in those circumstances, as do I, please lift them up in prayer.  And, reach out to them with love.  They desperately need to feel a loving, human touch.  And, maybe some cookies.

Well, my butter has been softening over there in the kitchen.  I'd better "get to it".
Have a blessed Day 13, Saints!
"Peace be to the brothers and sisters, and love with faith, from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.  Grace be with all who have undying love for our Lord Jesus Christ."
Ephesians 6:23-24

Source:

1    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKkTB617sDU
Lyrics and choral performance of "When Morning Gilds the Skies"

No comments:

Post a Comment