Wednesday, December 18, 2019

Advent Day 18 - A Sacred Joy


Both times I was pregnant, I was quite pregnant at Christmastime.  Our firstborn was delivered two weeks late, at the end of March.  The younger son made his appearance at the end of February.  So, although I was not as "great with child" as was Mary, I was still pretty much unable to put on my pantyhose for work, lol.  (Yes, we wore hosiery to work in those days...)

It was a special experience, being pregnant at Christmastime.
I am sorry for men, who are unable to relate.  "Male and female created He them", after all.  Being the life-carriers is a sacred joy.

And, there was no motherhood experience in the history of mankind more astounding than that of Mary.  I still remember the euphoria and wonder I felt on discovering I was pregnant, both times.  It approaches the joy I felt when I made the decision to follow Christ.

God's Holy Spirit, God Himself(!) came to live in me.  I was forever "possessed" by The Divine. . Forever sealed as His.  God with me (Immanuel!) and God IN me.
And, becoming pregnant?  A new life, a new person was growing in me!  Both times...I felt distinctly unworthy.  Still do, actually.

One of the major objections religions like Islam (and others who do not consider Jesus to be God) cite is that God could not be a human being.  But, I was reading in Hebrews yesterday morning about this very point.  The author of Hebrews knew it would be an issue and this is what he wrote:

Now since the children have flesh and blood in common, Jesus also shared in these, so that through his death he might destroy the one holding the power of death ​— ​that is, the devil — 15 and free those who were held in slavery all their lives by the fear of death. 16 For it is clear that he does not reach out to help angels, but to help Abraham’s offspring. 17 Therefore, he had to be like his brothers and sisters in every way, so that he could become a merciful and faithful high priest in matters pertaining to God, to make atonement for the sins of the people.
Hebrews 2:14-17 (CSB)

We who believe on Jesus are "the children", and this passage reminds us of the reason Jesus came to Earth, as well as why the method by which He came was SO vitally important.  If Jesus, the Son of God, the second member of the triune Godhead (Father, Son, Holy Spirit) had not been born into a human body and lived a fully-God, fully-human life, He could not have executed the plan of God for our redemption.  It was the only way.  He had to become "like his brothers and sisters in every way."
Max Lucado put it like this:  "Let him be as human as he intended to be.  For only if we let him in can he pull us out."1

Perfection, dwelling in His mother's womb, dwelling "among us".
And, what about the crazy (well, at least other-worldly and very odd) circumstances of His birth?

I remember when my first son was born.  The ride home from the hospital is particularly vivid.
If my mother had not been waiting at my home for us to arrive, I think I would have jumped out of our moving car.  I was that terrified and intimidated.  (Those who know me think I'm exaggerating here.  I assure you that I am not.) 

Now. 
What if I had been in Mary's shoes (er....sandals)?   A sacred joy?!
***Her first pregnancy (like mine was).
***The enormity of giving birth to God's Son (no pressure though, right?)
***A sudden, undesired trip, far from every female she knows.
***Donkeys as doulas, manger for crib, brilliant stars for lighting ...
The incongruity of it all is simply astounding!
Who, but God, would have or could have orchestrated a more "un-human" scene?
Certainly not how a human would have done it!

The mystery of eternal salvation is similarly great, even greater than the miracle of the Incarnation.  As the Holy Spirit came to create life in Mary's womb, He is equally desirous to place Himself into the heart of every woman and man.  This acquiescence, this belief, this submission and belief on the part of each person who accepts Christ as Savior is a reflection of the Virgin Birth.  But, salvation is an even greater miracle, even more a sacred joy!

Oh Lord!  May we exclaim as did Mary "Let it be to me according to your word!" (Luke 1:38).  May we become so very FULL of you this season that we can proclaim and rejoice in the words of the apostle Paul:  "It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me!" (Galatians 2:20)

Source:

Lucado, M. (2012). In the manger: 25 inspirational selections for advent. Nashville: Thomas Nelson, p. 18.

No comments:

Post a Comment