Monday, November 9, 2015

Starbucks' Red Cup

Good morning,

In the past week some dude has tried to get Christians' dander up over this whole Merry Christmas craze.  (If you don't know what I'm talking about, go Google the title of this post.)
Every year, there is some manifestation of this.  "Such and such a store is not saying 'Merry Christmas' in its ads."  Or, "the employees of ____ store are saying 'Happy Holidays', not 'Merry Christmas'. "  The latest buzz is that the coffee giant, Starbucks, has put out their "holiday" cups, and they are red; BUT, the cups don't have "Merry Christmas" printed on them.  This is supposedly a scandal the proportions of which our world has never seen.

Where's my eye-roll icon?   Let's look at today's Scripture passage which (Bless!) speaks to this craziness.

11 Therefore, because we know the fear of the Lord, we try to persuade people, but we are well known to God, and I hope we are well known to your consciences too. 12 We are not trying to commend ourselves to you again, but are giving you an opportunity to be proud of us, so that you may be able to answer those who take pride in outward appearance and not in what is in the heart. 13 For if we are out of our minds, it is for God; if we are of sound mind, it is for you. 14 For the love of Christ controls us, since we have concluded this, that Christ died for all; therefore all have died. 15 And he died for all so that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised.
2 Corinthians 5:11-15

"Therefore" - - - because of what was just said...that is, because Christians will be "judged", rewarded for what they have done to further Jesus Christ's kingdom during their lives here on earth (vs. 10) ....
Paul says, "we know the reverence of the Lord" and because we do, "we try to persuade people"(vs. 11).  Persuade them to what?  To hear the gospel and accept Christ as Savior!

How do we do this?  Do we do it by "taking pride in outward appearance and not in what is in the heart?" (vs. 12) Do we do this by making an unbelieving world think we are obnoxious and out-of-our-minds?  No!  Verse 14 says that we do it by letting the LOVE of Christ control us and by DYING to our own selfish desires!

You know, I will say "Merry Christmas" with a smile on my face this season.  But, I will not be an obnoxious, snotty brat "in the name of JEEEZUS!"  Give me a break!  You know, maybe, just maybe, if those who claim the name of Christ were to focus more on sharing the gospel and feeding the hungry, and rescuing those who are dying (physically, emotionally, spiritually), maybe we wouldn't have to rant and rave about "Merry Christmas".  Maybe that would be because so many people would be so stunned and stupefied by the love of Christ that saying "Merry Christmas" would not even be in doubt.

Starbucks people: the fake Jesus being portrayed in this Facebook campaign (and elsewhere) is not "the real deal".  The real Jesus was (and is) loving and humble and kind.  His compassion for our brokenness was so great that He gave His very life in order to heal it.  He is magnificent, and I pray that you will encounter Him in a very real way this holiday season.   Love to you, in the name of Jesus Christ!

Father, this makes me sad ... and angry.  The world is going to Hell and some of my misguided brothers and sisters are bringing silliness and dishonor to the name of Your Son.  Please show them that this only makes us all look ridiculous.  Please forgive me for my sins.  I'm not perfect either, nor do I pretend to be.  Show me where my life is hurting the advancement of Your kingdom so that I can confess that and make it right, so that my testimony won't hinder the gospel either.  Beyond that, please show me how I can extend the love of my Savior to someone who is hurting, desperate and broken, as The Message version says in James 1:27 "the homeless and loveless".  May they see me as a light-bearer, someone who can show them the hope and rescue available to them through Your blessed Son.  In Jesus' name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment