Saturday, November 28, 2015

Rice and Refuge

Good morning,

There are times when, even having heard the truth of the gospel, we lose our way.  We get off God's path.  We lose perspective.  It may be a sudden event which catapults us into the briar patch.  Or, it may be a more gradual veer.  Suddenly, we find ourselves in the weeds, or in the swamp, or in the muck and mire.

Last night was a great time of ministry in ATL.  However, it was a late night and at an ungodly hour I climbed into the bathtub with my iPad.  This is part of my evening ritual.  What was not typical about last night was that the iPad got baptized.  I keep it in a combo case-keyboard, which most assuredly was ruined. Still, I was hoping that the case kept the iPad sheltered enough to save it.  With a hopeful heart I tried to use it, only to find that it was flitting around from app to app, blinking, trying to shut down, but then powering back up - - - doing all kinds of frantic didos.  It looked kind of like it was losing its mind.

After taking it out of the case and drying it off, into a Tupperware container of rice it went; and, I headed off to bed.  This morning, I got up, started the coffee and looked in on my little, electronic friend.  Miraculously, it seemed to be normal; so, I plugged it in and am currently sending it through an OS update.  I figure if it can survive that, it can handle just about anything.

Over the Thanksgiving break I was made aware of a loved one who, figuratively speaking, had gotten a dunking.  Those closer to him had despaired of his very life.  I was heartbroken to hear that this beautiful, gifted soul had come so close to total breakdown and destruction.  His closer loved ones are rallying around him, bringing critical resources to bear as they support him through this time of anguish.

One resource is indispensable in times like these: the LORD.  He is "the rice" who will rescue, revive and restore us.  Without him, all other "resources" are of extremely limited value.  Often, our unintended destinations result from our deliberately turning our backs on Him, and refusing to walk in His ways.  Other times, we end up where we don't want to be because of circumstances out of our "control" (or the illusion thereof).

Regardless, the Scriptures tell us that He is our hiding place and our deliverer.  Although there are many verses pertinent to this topic here is one of my favorites, from Psalms.


You are my hiding place;
you protect me from distress.
You surround me with shouts of joy from those celebrating deliverance. (Selah)
I will instruct and teach you about how you should live.

I will advise you as I look you in the eye.
Psalm 32:7-8 (NET)

He surrounds his troubled children in times of terror, like a blanket of dry rice.  He is a refuge, a place of safety and security.  As soon as we seek Him, the shouts of deliverance joy begin.  Don't you just love that?  He knows the end from the beginning!  Even when we cannot see the end of our troubles, He not only sees them, He shouts for joy as the One who "makes all things new".

I'm aware of another, separate situation in which the "child" going through it may not see ultimate deliverance in this earthly life.  Sometimes, deliverance is perfected in Heaven.  There is nothing to compare to that standard of "making all things new".  Wow, what a thought to contemplate!

Even in those kinds of "hopeless" situations, though, as in all such trials and tribulations, the LORD says He will "look us in the eye."  Most of us have a memory, either as a child or as a parent, of someone taking us by the chin and saying, "Look at me".  Usually, it is before vital instruction is about to be given.  So it is with the LORD.  He takes us by our spiritual chins and says, "Look at me. I will instruct and teach you about how you should live."  Thank you, sweet LORD!

You may or may not be in a situation today where all your circuits are going haywire, where you are blinking and apping all over the place.  You may or may not be in a situation where you are too broken even to flop and flounder, physically.  Regardless, let the rice of the Holy Spirit cover you, surround you.  He is there with you, in the middle of your trouble, grief or terror.  He is waiting for you to call on Him to come and reach you, rescue you, make all things new again.  Your only Savior is waiting; all you have to do is call.

Oh LORD, the world and its rulers are often sickeningly successful at deceiving us into believing we do not need You, that we can handle this on our own, that we are our own gods.  The result of our deception is that we get lost in the weeds.  I am so thankful that You never turn your back on us in those times; all of us have "been there" to one extent or another at some time or another.  When You answer our cry for help and rescue us, in "making all things new" You don't always reverse the consequences of our situations.  You do, however, give us a greater portion of Your Holy Spirit so that we come out of those trials "stronger" in Your incomparable strength.  I praise You for that, LORD.  I praise You for how You bring beauty out of ashes, new growth out of a dead stump, how You restore what the locusts have eaten (Joel 2:25).  Father, I pray for those who need for You to take them by the chin this morning.  I pray that they will seek You, fix their eyes on You so that You can do what only You can do...the miraculous!  In Jesus' name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment