Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Job

Image by Kasun Chamara, from Pixabay

The chronological Bible I'm using for my daily reading is in the book of Job at the moment, which I find to be an extraordinarily difficult book.  I confess to having a limited understanding.  For me, at the moment, its value is in God's responses to Job and his three friends, (since I can't make heads or tails of what those 3 friends are saying...)  When God answers Job, He takes the opportunity to both help Job know Him better and also to demonstrate His incomparability.

Even so, Job's words in 13:15 stand out:

"Though He slay me, yet will I trust Him." (KJV)

Say what you want to about him, but Job was held up by God as the prime example of a righteous man of his day: an outstanding worshipper/follower of Almighty God.  I find that to be astounding and humbling.  Wow, what an honor!  May all of us who follow Jesus Christ aspire to that!
We can see/know now, with our benefit of reading the story, what was going on behind the scenes.  But, Job certainly did not know that.  He had no idea why God was dragging him through the pain and suffering he experienced.
Yet....
Job trusted God.  No matter what.
He stated this before God ever "answered him" one word!
He fully trusted God, and left the outcomes to Him.

I have issues in my life about which I'm not fully trusting God.  My faith is faltering in those areas.  One of them has to do with loved ones who have "rejected the faith".  I constantly pray for their salvation.  But, am I 100% trusting that God is going to save them?  No.  My understanding of the sovereignty of God gets in the way of my faith.  It's a stumbling block, I think.  I want to believe 100% that these precious beloveds WILL come to saving faith.  I certainly believe 100% that He CAN save them.  But, it is up to God whether or not they do place their faith and trust in Jesus Christ.  It is my role to pray earnestly for their salvation.  I am trying hard to trust God with their souls, although it breaks my heart into a million little pieces - - contemplating they may continue in their rebellion and unbelief until they reach eternity.  Just being 100% honest here, folks.  You can comment in the comments section on this point, if you feel led.

So, going on...
Another thing that impresses me about the story of Job is this:  God never tells Job "the backstory".  He never explains His actions or justifies them.  As humans, we always want to know "why", especially when tragedy strikes.  What God does is draw Job's attention to Himself, to His majesty, His power, His glory.  God invites Job's worship, which is as it should be.  God owes none of us any explanation...about anything.

Here's what the Bible tells us about God's ways, though, whether He explains Himself to us or not.  The prophet Habukkuk, in 3:6 tells us that God's ways are eternal and everlasting.  And, in Psalm 31:19,  David affirms God's ways are loving, toward all who love Him.

He stood and measured the earth; He looked and startled the nations; the ancient mountains crumbled; the perpetual hills collapsed. His ways are everlasting.
Habukkuk 3:6 (BSB)

Oh, how abundant is your goodness, which you have stored up for those who fear you and worked for those who take refuge in you, in the sight of the children of mankind!
Psalm 31:19 (ESV)

Bottom line: Job's story shows us God really IS "good all the time", even when we don't understand our circumstances, even when there's no way we can fully comprehend God.  I don't know about you, but I take great comfort in that truth.  I can rest my heart in the goodness of God.


2 comments:

  1. Ms. Gena; I can't comment on how you believe my friend; I can only share my own thoughts. I too know without question that God can save my loved ones. I trust Him to do what He promises He will. This is where the concept of "free will" He made us with comes into play for me. He will attempt to prick our hearts and come to each of us. It is our free will that decides to accept His offer or reject Him yet again. My prayers for loved ones is that He'll soften their hearts so they might one day be receptive to His free offer of salvation. As to Job and his story? Absolutely ma'am. The Book of Job convinced me that "faith is not blind; it is rooted in expecting God to be true to His promises." God's blessings ma'am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your kind and encouraging comment, J.D.!

    ReplyDelete