Monday, March 9, 2015

There is Power

Good evening.

If you follow this blog then you know that I usually post in the mornings, after spending time in the Word.  But, I'm posting now what I meditated on in the midst of a severe trial this evening: Psalms 56 and 57.

There is in my life an ongoing personal affliction, one which wearies my soul and breaks my heart. Some days it is worse than others.  Today was one of those days.

This afternoon I was sharing with a friend about the heartbreak of it all.  In the context of that, we discussed how Satan is using this to try to "break" me and to destroy my faith in God.  I vehemently affirmed that I am determined to remain faithful and true, despite this relentless assault.

Then, tonight happened.  How incongruous!  Or not.  At any rate, I thought I'd share with you what I do when attacks come, as they inevitably will, to all of us who bear the name of Christ.  Our pastor was preaching about this yesterday.  In fact, he went so far to say that God can only use those He has first allowed to become wounded and healed by Him.  God allows us to be broken so that we can help others bear their brokenness.  I'm so glad I was in church yesterday.  The worship and the exposition of the Word helped prepare me to face what I had to face this evening.

Here are the principles that David shared, when he was severely afflicted.  He wrote Psalm 56 when the Philistines had seized him in Gath.  Goliath, whom David killed with the slingshot, was from Gath (1 Samuel 17:4).  In fact, he was the champion of Gath, the hometown hero.  I imagine those people wanted a "pound of flesh" from David when they got their hands on him!  Then, Psalm 57 was written by David when he was on the run from Saul and hiding out in a cave.  Listen to how he responded to his adverse circumstances, those spiritual attacks.

1.  David prayed.  He asked God for mercy (56:1; 57:1).  Some circumstances are so awful that you know that there is nothing you can do to reverse them, that you are totally powerless.  It is at those times when I beg God for His mercy.  There is no other possibility of rescue (57:3)
2.  David acknowledged his fear (56:3) and noted that the antidote to fear is to trust in God.  He made a conscious decision to trust in God.  He understood (56:4) that there is a limit to what man can do to a fellow human.  He understood that man may harm the body but that the soul who trusts in God will live with Him forever.
3.  David acknowledged the omniscience of God (56:8).  "List my tears on your scroll; are they not in your record?"  God sees every tear that we cry.  Nothing that touches His children escapes His attention.
4.  David praised (56:10; 57:5, 8, 9, 11) and thanked (56:12) God, despite his circumstances.  David found it re-aligned his soul with his Father's soul to make music an integral part of his praise.
5.  David remembered God's faithfulness to him in the past (56:13; 57:3, 10).  He reflected on past triumphs and he read in the holy Scriptures about how God had been faithful to his forefathers.
6.  David knew that God is his only true refuge/stronghold (57:1).  "I will take refuge in the shadow of your wings until the disaster has passed."
7.  David kept his perspective.  He kept in mind that God had a purpose for his life and that He would fulfill it (57:3).  If we are submitted to our Heavenly Father, He is then able to fulfill His purposes through us.
8.  David affirmed his allegiance to God no matter what the circumstances (57:7).  "My heart is steadfast (fixed), O God, my heart is steadfast (fixed)."
9.  This last one is implied in David's actions, but I mention it on its own because of its tremendous power.  When you find yourself under spiritual attack, read the Scriptures and speak them out loud. Pray out loud. Praise out loud, exalting the name of Jesus.  Thank Him for the mighty, redeeming power of His spilled blood. Satan hates hearing that, and he won't stick around.

We all have everyday problems and challenges.  If we live long enough, we will also face enormous, crippling challenges that threaten to crush our souls.  But, Christian, let me encourage you, as I also encourage myself.  Declare this.  Speak it out loud.
 "There is power in the name of Jesus, to break every chain."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pD2zIuiC2g

I hear the chains falling.

O Father, O Lover of my Soul, thank you for not forsaking me in the heat of the battle.  Precious are your promises! There is not even the slightest change of character in You.  You are ever true, always loving, totally reliable.  Your compassion to me will never fail.  Your mercies are new every morning.  You have provided in Jesus, my Savior, all that I'll ever need.  Great is Your faithfulness to Your children, and I am so grateful to be one.  In Jesus' name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment