Friday, July 15, 2016

Sleep Aids



Don't you just love little kids, who can sleep almost anywhere?  Their bodies demand rest and, well, they just "konk out", as the expression goes.

The other day I ran across an article that listed the worst medications for ongoing human health.  The number one offender was sleep aids, not the occasional use, but the continual use of those in the person's life.  Do you find that shocking?  I did!
Now, full disclosure:  I have never used a sleeping pill.  We all have our physical challenges, and that is just not one of mine.  Believe me....I have others!

Occasionally, though, I do have trouble getting to sleep; or, I wake up between 3-4 a.m. and can't return to sleep for an hour or two.  I was reminded of this last night because I chose to read some psalms before going to bed.  I wasn't sleepless, just "hungry".  Afterwards, I went right to sleep!

The Psalms are promises from God to His people. They are not some sort of "magic charm" or "magic pill".  The promises found there pertain only to those who worship Jehovah God and His Son, Jesus, who Jehovah God gave so that we could enter into a righteous relationship with Him (Father). Could it be that God is stealing your sleep in an effort to draw you to Himself?  Have you settled your soul in Him?  Have you chosen Jesus Christ as Savior?  If not, I urge you to do that today.  Go here for guidance, in settling that life-changing matter forever:

http://resplendentdaughter.blogspot.com/2014/07/the-main-thing.html

There are various other reasons for sleeplessness:  physical pain, grief, worry, anger, etc.  And, honestly, there are Psalms that are great to help us Christians "re-center" and re-focus our hearts.  It would be impossible to mention all of them in one, mere blog post.

But, since this is a personal devotional blog, here are some I read last night or have found helpful recently to help me sleep.  I'm not going to reproduce all of the texts here.  Take a short tour through these on your own and bookmark those which resonate with you currently.

Psalm 17, particularly verses 1-3 and 15

Psalm 4:8

Psalm 3, particularly verses 3-5

Psalm 121, particularly verses 3-4

Psalm 139, particularly verses 7-12

Psalm 62, particularly verses 5-8

Psalm 116:7


So, these are just a few that you might find a comfort on those late nights.  I am a "morning person" and, very tired from a long day tend to see things more bleakly than I do in the morning.  Even if you are not "sleepless in (your town)" you may need some encouragement.

My suggestion, Christian, is to build yourself a bank of favorite scriptures that you can read at night before bed. (There are others which are wonderfully comforting but are not in the book of Psalms.) Put them beside your bed and feed your spirit nourishing food before you turn out the lamp.

Rest well, my brethren!  Sleep in the peace of Your Savior!

Father, thank you for deep, healing, restorative sleep.  Thank you for Your Word, in which we find the true peace that enables us to turn it all over to You and rest.  I appreciate how, in my life, You clean my brain out overnight, as I rest, so that in the morning I can awake refreshed and ready to face what You bring into my life each day.  I dedicate this day to You, O blessed One-and-Only!  With love, in Jesus' name, amen.






No comments:

Post a Comment