Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Success!


Well, friends, the blog schedule continues to be herky-jerky this week, due to VBS, a work-related meeting all day today, etc.

Last night, I had insomnia and sat down with the Scriptures.  I know we are "in Philippians", but I want to take a short detour into Psalm 73 for today's (very late!) post.  Please grab your Bible and walk with me through this honest, raw, intimate psalm, written by Asaph.  (I'm using the NET version, although I read it last night from The Message.)

If I asked you to describe a successful person, what would you say?

Let's consider what the world considers a successful person to be.  Here are some of those attributes of worldly success, in no particular order:

financial wealth
power and influence
fame ("I'm gonna live forever' ... a certain generation will understand....couldn't resist!)
good looks
many friends
loving family
hobbies
intelligence
significance

These worldly successes are not bad, in and of themselves.  Sometimes (often?) though, people achieve success in the world's eyes by doing the following to achieve the desired outcomes:

  • a "live and let live" attitude, disregard of sin - - theirs and others; "situational ethics" (vs. 7)
  • an attitude of "I'll use others however I please to get what I want" - - lack of compassion (vs. 5)
  • pride and arrogance (vs. 3 and 6)

  • slander (vs. 8)
  • rebellion and contempt toward God (vs. 9, 11)

Yet, God often "allows" evil people to "triumph" over those whose motives are pure.  If you are a person who longs to follow God, to please Him, to serve Him - - the worldly successes of such people can be profoundly troubling.

Why does God allow evil people to be so successful in this life, after all?

The psalmist never answers that question because often, in our specific situations, we don't get a precise answer either.  The more global answer is that God uses everything for His glory, which honestly, is not much of a comfort when you are mired down, beaten down, seemingly squashed by troubles.

What the psalmist DOES do is to "re-frame".  He rejects bitterness (vs. 21-22), enters God's holy presence (vs. 17), and he gets a clearer picture of the wicked.  He sees that they are on "a slippery slope."  These people reach a point in their lives when, they believe they "have it made", and all of a sudden God's judgment falls on them (vs. 18-19).

Then, the psalmist shows us the number one characteristic of a person who is successful in God's eyes.  What do you think it is?

Do you remember what it was like as a young child to be held by your parent's hand and guided through a crowd?  Perhaps it was at the carnival or at your large church or at some other large gathering where there were many close people.  You trusted your parent to lead you the correct way, and he or she must have...you are here reading this, after all!

I think the number one characteristic of a person who is successful in God's eyes is humility, a willingness to allow one's own desires to become secondary to God's desires, a willingness to be led by Him.  I promise - - - if you think you've met a truly godly soul, he/she is humble.  The older I get, the more convinced I am of this.  What, for example, is the first step in accepting Jesus as Savior, accepting His offer of salvation?  It's admitting that we are sinners who are unable to atone for our own sins, unable to "save ourselves".
Listen to the psalmist:

25  Whom do I have in heaven but you?
I desire no one but you on earth.
26  My flesh and my heart may grow weak,
but God always protects my heart and gives me stability.

The humble, "successful" disciple of Jesus Christ puts Him first in his or her life.  Arrogant and prideful people are unable to do this.

23  But I am continually with you;
you hold my right hand.
24  You guide me by your wise advice,
and then you will lead me to a position of honor.

Do you see how the psalmist lives his life, walking resplendently with God?  Everything is subordinate to God's will and the desire to live continually in God's presence.  Such a humble soul is guided by God's wise advice, with God holding his or her hand.  Such a person is "at home" with God, in an ever-growing, ever-deepening relationship.

What is this place of honor of which the psalmist speaks?  It is eternity spent with God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit!  When this life ends, He still holds our hand....and leads us into an eternity with Him.  I believe it will feel so ... familiar, to the one who has walked with God in this earthly life.

I attended the funeral of a godly, 92-year old woman two days ago.  The musician, my aunt, sang one of my favorite "funeral songs", and I believe the context of this post is perfect for me to share the chorus with you.  Pay attention to the last line especially:

Just think of stepping on shore
And finding it Heaven
Of touching a hand
And finding it God's
Of breathing new air
And finding it celestial
Of waking up in Glory
And finding it Home.1

Home is wherever Jesus is....It always has been.

Father, thank you for helping us when we find ourselves overcome by perplexity at how things are playing out around us.  We know that nothing is hidden from You, that nothing escapes Your attention.  Like a humble, trusting child holds the hand of its parent, may we walk hand-in-hand with You.  May we be increasingly at-home with You, both here and forever.  In Jesus' name, amen.

Source: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2uZxlfFQm4

No comments:

Post a Comment