Friday, April 1, 2016

Financial Security


What I have on my mind this morning is...taxes.  Yes, April 15 looms, and my preparations are not made.  Over the past three days I've been piddling around, trying to get ready to submit my records to good 'ole Uncle Sam.  What a chore!  I think that my #1 issue for a presidential candidate at the moment is a flat or a fair tax....

At any rate, I thought I'd poke around to see what the Bible says about money, and it says a LOT - - - enough for a series of blog posts.  But, I shall refrain.  These verses were the first to draw my attention.

10 
The one who loves money will never be satisfied with money,
he who loves wealth will never be satisfied with his income.
This also is futile.
11 
When someone’s prosperity increases, those who consume it also increase;
so what does its owner gain, except that he gets to see it with his eyes?
12 
The sleep of the laborer is pleasant—whether he eats little or much—
but the wealth of the rich will not allow him to sleep.

Ecclesiastes 5:10-12

I don't have trouble sleeping, although compared to the wealth of the rest of the world even an average American like me is in "the 1%" - - - the top 1% of wealthiest people in the world.

King Solomon, who accumulated more wealth than practically any of us will ever see, testified that it was distinctly unsatisfying.  These verses are part of a long recitation of things in life that are "vanity" or "futile" or "meaningless", depending on your translation.  He warns us, in verse 10, against making money an idol, as those who do can "never have enough".

It is easy to say, "Well, I don't do THAT."  But, how about looking to money for your security?  This, too, is idolatry.  I'm not talking about sensible saving, investing, etc.  However, anyone who has ever "lost it all" in a quick series of market tumbles or bad investments understands that the "security" provided by money is an illusion.

Unbelievers have no security, because it begins and ends in Jesus Christ.  As Christians, our steadfast assurance and eternal hope are in Him.  As the hymn says, "Our hope is built in nothing less than Jesus' blood and righteousness."

"Nothing less"...I can testify that I have made some bad choices over the course of my life in regard to money, and many of them have to do with "playing it safe", depending on my own efforts to ensure my financial security.  This is a deception.  We are the most safe and secure when we have firmly anchored our soul to Jesus and are walking obediently in His will, whether that looks "safe" or "sensible" to the outside world or not.

Here's a good habit to form, and one at which I want to get better.  Before making a major purchase, I want to ask myself:  "Is this what He would want me to spend His gifts on?"  "Is this going to expand His kingdom?  Will it increase the glory I'm able to reflect back to Him?"  These are key questions, sobering ones.  I am firmly convinced many of us (myself included) will be called on to answer for whether or not we did as He wanted with the financial gifts we were given.

So, now I've got to get back to the business today of "counting beans".  (How some of my family members do this for a living, I'll never know....That's why there are different gifts and talents for each of us.)  As I've been doing this over the past few days, I've been able to look back over 2015 and realize how I spent my time (calculating mileage) and my financial resources as well.  I've been able to reflect on the abundant blessings (financial and otherwise) God has given me, as He is the source of all good things.  It has produced thankfulness and humility in my soul, as well as a renewed resolve to be used even more by Him as 2016 moves on.

Father, teach us, Your children, that our firm foundation is only in You, that You are not only the Source of All Blessing, but You are also our only security.  Please don't let our wealth become a curse or an idol, but instead, may it be used to spread the gospel throughout all the world.  In Jesus' name, amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment