Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Those Packed Boxes



I'm not ordinarily a weepy girl.  However, pulling into the garage this morning, from an errand, the presence of our youngest's packed-for-grad-school boxes just slammed me in the heart.  Previously, I had been ignoring them, and what they represent.

My great-grandmother, Mollie Boling, had 10 children, over a period of 22 years.  The timespan from when the oldest was born, to when the youngest left home, was 40+ years.  Not having followed in her prodigious maternal footsteps, Hubster and I had two sons, 23 months apart.  I won't go into the whys and wherefores of that decision, but I think Grandma Mollie might have possessed some wisdom that somehow eluded me.

Our older son left home for college at 18, stayed either on campus or rental property and never returned.  His younger brother chose frugality, lived at home and saved his money until college graduation.  Then, he was more or less "in and out" in the 7 months following.  He was, still, not totally gone.  But, tomorrow he moves onto a college campus for graduate school . . .  and I know he will not return "home" again.  This situation leaves us with only one "son" at home; he is covered in fur. 

I told the Hubster yesterday, "This is going to be like when we were first married!"  But, my heart was not in it.  Then, the two of us were our intact family; now, the two of us are only part.

Last Sunday, I went to pay my respects to a sweet, sweet Christian family who had lost a much beloved member.  Along with many others I had prayed and prayed for them and will continue to do so.  No matter how you sugarcoat it, loss sucks.  Whether it's loss of a loved one, loss of one's health, loss of financial security - - you name it, much of the time this type of loss seems out of our control. It feels like God's betrayal; it hurts.  We feel lost and defenseless, as the path ahead seems dark.

Even "positive loss" (what a term!) - - those milestones in life that signify growth and development - - can be hard on the heart.

Is God able?  Is He sufficient to comfort us during times of change, transition, loss?  Yes.  Yes, He is!

28For You, O LORD, light my lamp;
my God enlightens my darkness.
29For in You I can charge an army,
and with my God I can scale a wall.
30As for God, His way is perfect;
the word of the LORD is flawless.
He is a shield to all who take refuge in Him.
Psalm 18:28-30 (BSB)

I posted this passage because it reminds me of God's "chesed", that Hebrew word meaning "loving devotion", to His children in difficult times.  In our darkness and sadness, He lights our lamp.  He empowers us to meet life's greatest challenges.  He reminds us that His ways are always right, whether we understand them or not. 

Later on in Psalm 18, the Berean Study Bible speaks of how God's "gentleness exalts me".  When we hurt, He hurts along with us. and in loving devotion gently cradles us close to His heart, if we will draw near.  While He won't remove all hurt and loss from our earthly lives, He will shield us as a loving Father deals in mercy toward His children. 

Earlier today I sat down at the piano and played a little, as I often do when encouragement seems absent.  You may recognize these lyrics from the hymn.  They meant so much today!

"Summer and winter and springtime and harvest . . . 
Thine own dear presence to cheer and to guide
Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow
Blessings all mine, and 10,000 beside.
Great is Thy faithfulness, great is Thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning new mercies I see.
ALL I have needed Thy hand has provided.
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me."1

Amen.

Source:

1      Hymn - - "Great Is Thy Faithfulness", copyright 1923. 
Lyrics:  Thomas O. Chisholm, Tune:  William M. Runyan

No comments:

Post a Comment