Wednesday, March 1, 2017

#Proclaim17 Convention Update


I truly enjoy conventions....no, not the grammatical kind, although my family members would charge me with that...
I guess it's in my blood.
My dad was the closest thing to a "national union leader" the aggregated postmasters of this country can (by law) know.  Just a country postmaster, he rose to become the president for many years of one of the two postmaster "associations".  To be accurate, one was a "league" and the other an "association".
He was always jetting off to some postmaster convention or another.  The few times I got to tag along  were absolutely thrilling!
Over the years I've enjoyed and benefitted from reading conventions, conventions dedicated to nurturing the gifted child, curriculum conventions, Bible conventions and so forth.

Today was the first time I had ever attended a religious broadcaster's convention.  Why did I come this week?  Certainly not only because I like conventions, but because I imagined that I'd learn a lot about how to leverage my God-given ministry to be more and become more for the kingdom of God.
And, I did.

One of the things I learned was that I have been underutilizing Facebook, which a couple of the presenters referred to as "The Evil Empire", lol!  What they meant by such a moniker is that, although certain algorithms of FB are onerous, it dominates the social media scene.  I'd be foolish to continue to not put into practice what I've learned.  So, loyal readers, expect to see a RDM Facebook page, coming soon!

A second thing I learned today was that I probably need to get a blogspot divorce.  A friend had a while back recommended I do this; but, I was just so comfortable "dancing with the one who brung me"....
Podcasts.  Podcasts ❤️ LOVE Wordpress, an alternative blogging platform.  They are just a natural pairing.  Blogspot, not so much.  Actually, not at all.  So, look for that to be another change for the near future.

A third thing I learned is that in an area where I am very proficient (Twitter), the religious broadcasting world is woefully undereducated.  Fortunately, I had the opportunity to speak with one of the architects of the Digitial Media Day at #Proclaim17 and introduce him to one of the most able Twitter warriors I know.  Hopefully, next year, my friend can participate in #Proclaim18 (or whatever hashtag they will adopt) so that he can share how Twitter can be a powerful piece in a ministry's social media ecosystem.

That's a fourth thing I learned.  I had been breezing along, blissfully content with my little blog and vlog. But, Todd Adkins and Barnabas Piper of Lifeway emphasized the danger of such compartmentalizations and the resulting isolation.  Ministries (even minnow ministries like mine) who successfully harness the power of social media build a web of connectivity and interactivity between their various social media platforms.  What a pardigm shift!

And, I learned so much more....which I'll tell you about in my next post.
Teaser:  I met some famous people!  Can't wait to tell you about them!

Lord Jesus, thank you for this minnow ministry you have given to this resplendent daughter.  You didn't give it because I am worthy, but because You are.  And, I have no desire other than that all the glory should go to You, for the amazingly great things You have done.  In Jesus' name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment