Friday, August 28, 2015

WhatEVER You Do...

Good morning,

This evening and all weekend, I'll be in a play, one that I've rehearsed since January of this year.  It is the first production I've been in, in a long time....about 30 years, to be exact.  I know that they call it "acting", but I play such a reprehensible character.  I literally come on stage for the first time screaming, and I'm screaming when I leave the stage for the last time.  It's a very exhausting role.

Anyway, why did I decide to pursue this?  Well, I did it for several reasons.
First of all, I enjoy acting.  It is a way to use my God-given verbal gifts, and my natural dramatic flair, for God's purposes.
Second, I wanted to do it so that people might come to know Jesus Christ as Savior, through attending the play.  The message of my character, and others, is quite powerful.  It is my prayer that the Holy Spirit will use it to work in the hearts of many.
Third, it is the first production of a new ministry at our church; and, I wanted to help it get started.

Someone began telling me this week about other acting opportunities; but, I said I wasn't interested unless those opportunities would be in a Christian ministry context.  At my age, I really have to be thoughtful about allocating my time.  I'm increasingly conscious that I don't have all that much left, most likely.  So, I want to spend it well.

What does that mean, to a Christian?  To spend it well?

I think about those two news employees who were gunned down in cold blood this week.  I doubt that either of those young people woke up on their last morning alive and thought, "This might be the last day I have on earth."  Most of us don't think about that.  But, it's true.  Today could be the last day for any of us.  As Francis Schaeffer asked Christians, "How Should We Then Live?"

In 1 Cor. 10:31-33, Paul gives us the answer:

31 Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.32 Give no offense, either to the Jews or to the Greeks or to the church of God, 33 just as I also please all men in all things, not seeking my own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved.

At one point in the play, my character, Viola James, is talking about her spiritual gifts.  She says, "I believe I'll keep this one.   I didn't like the last spiritual gift I had; so, I sent it back."  The line is funny to Christians, because we know that it is so blatantly false!  We don't get to choose our spiritual gifts, or to "send them back".  The Holy Spirit confers them on us when we are converted, when we accept Jesus as Savior. Then, He urges us to use them! What we DO get to choose is how we use them.

"Whatever you do..."  My beloved friends, whatever we do, let us all resolve to do it for the glory of God.  And, if it does not bring Him glory, let's not do it.  Let's not be offensive.  Let's not seek our own glory.  Let's seek men and women, boys and girls, to bring to Jesus.  Let's disciple each other after we come to Christ.  Let's use our God-given gifts for His glory, only for Him!

I love to share songs with you, here in the blog.  The one I have in mind today is an old one, but one that inspired me as a teenager.  (So, you know it's a "moldy-oldie"!)  The title is "Let Me Burn Out for Thee, Dear Lord", by Bessie Hatcher.  The chorus goes like this:

Let me burn out for Thee, dear Lord,
Burn and wear out for Thee.
Don't let me rust, or my life
Be a failure, my God to Thee.
Use me and all I have, dear Lord,
And get me so close to Thee
That I feel the throb of the great heart of God,
Until I burn out for Thee.


Father, use me up, until I am utterly lost in You.  Whatever I do, let it be only for Your glory.  In Jesus' name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment