Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Beautiful Feet

Good morning!

This morning, here in North America, we were able to view quite well a total lunar eclipse, the second of the four "blood moons" (a term signifying a total lunar eclipse) during the 18-month period from last Spring through next Fall (2015).  Fortunately for me, the eclipse was at its peak just before 6:30 this morning.  So, it wasn't a huge sacrifice to be up to view it.  I did not see the typical red moon that led my predecessors to call this a "blood moon".  I think that was due to it being somewhat overcast here, or the atmospheric conditions being otherwise "not just right".  But, I did get to see it pretty well, just over the treetops in the southwestern sky.  Now, as I sit here and write, dawn is trying to break pink, all over the eastern sky.  It's still overcast though; so, it 's a battle in the first heaven (the earth's atmosphere).

My morning reading was in Isaiah 51 and 52.  Let's begin with  51:5-6 - - -

My righteousness draws near speedily,
    my salvation(S) is on the way,(T)
    and my arm(U) will bring justice to the nations.
The islands(V) will look to me
    and wait in hope(W) for my arm.
Lift up your eyes to the heavens,
    look at the earth beneath;
the heavens will vanish like smoke,(X)
    the earth will wear out like a garment(Y)
    and its inhabitants die like flies.
But my salvation(Z) will last forever,(AA)
    my righteousness will never fail.(AB)

Not a very pleasant thought is it - - that the heavens will vanish like smoke or that the earth will wear out like a garment?  God promises that these things will occur, but not when.  Surrounding this series of 4 blood moons, there has been a lot of speculation that God is "up to something big", and that the signs in the heavens are all a part of that.  According to one author who recently released a book on the subject, this alignment of blood moons with the Jewish high, holy days (accompanied by other significant factors) has not happened in thousands of years.

Let me emphasize that God is always up to something big.  Regardless of what is going on in the cosmic heavens (what the Bible calls "the 2nd heaven"), "my salvation will last forever.  My righteousness will never fail."

These words should encourage us today.  While it is worthwhile and interesting to study God's signs, indicators of things to come, our greater focus needs to be on His salvation and spreading that news to our fellow humans who are stumbling around in the dark.

In Isaiah 52:7, God commends those who spread His message:

How beautiful on the mountains(V)
    are the feet of those who bring good news,(W)
who proclaim peace,(X)
    who bring good tidings,
    who proclaim salvation,
who say to Zion,
    “Your God reigns!”(Y)


Sometimes, I wish I could go back and do it again.  Do you?  Have regrets about your past?  My one regret is that I have not devoted more of my time while on this earth spreading the Good News.  If you are like me, let's do this:  let's renew our commitment to "proclaim peace", to announce God's salvation, to tell not only "Zion" (the Jews) but everyone that "Our God Reigns"!  And, that His Son, our Savior, is the Source of all Life.

That message will never grow old.

I hear you muttering there into your coffee cup.  "Well, that's all fine and good for you, Gena.  You wake up in the morning and words just flow from your fingers.  You don't know what it's like to be shy like me."

I have a loved one who shies away from opportunities to minister according to her gifts.  What I try to impress upon her is that God has uniquely gifted her to do the work He has given her to do!  She must have her confidence in His ability to perform His work through her.  I tell you the same.  God has given each of us His children opportunities to "speak peace" into the heart of others, to have "beautiful feet".  It may be a terminally ill relative who does not know Jesus.  It may be a co-worker who is struggling with his or her marriage.  It may be a grandchild who is wandering far from God.

Don't discount the opportunities you are given.  They may seem like impossible situations, over which you can have no influence.  If you believe that, you are believing the devil's lies.  Our God is the God of the Impossible!

Dear Lord, thank you that Your salvation will last forever!  We pray Psalm 51:15 this morning - - - "Lord, open my lips, and my mouth will declare Your praise."   We need for You to open our lips, Lord.  In our humanity and carnality, we use our feet to RUN from our callings, so often.  Please open our lips and make our feet to be beautiful for You, for the furtherance of Your Kingdom!  "Thy kingdom come; thy will be done, on earth, as it is in Heaven."  In Jesus' name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment