Friday, February 5, 2016

Hiding My Light


There have been times when I have been embarrassed by the gospel of Jesus Christ.  Oh, if you asked me outright, I would have said the right things.  But, in my actions and behaviors, I have veiled my beliefs in order to "be successful" and "get along" in this distinctly unChristian world.

Case in point:  Some of you who have known me for years probably have this response to my behavior now - - - "Did you hear about Gena? She has gone off the religious deep-end.  She writes that blog five days a week and posts religious posts on Facebook and tweets about faith and politics like a madwoman.  What has gotten into her?"

The thing is - - sorry to tell you - - -I've always been that way, well, since a teenager, that is.  Since my conversion to Christianity as a youth.  But, when I made a career choice, to work in the public schools, I put a veil over my faith.  In one-on-one situations, given an opening, I would express my faith by praying for/sharing with individuals - - staff members, children, parents of students.  I wasn't ashamed of the gospel in the workplace; but, I was careful how I expressed my faith.  I had to be, in order to keep my job.  Or, so I thought at the time.  (This was before I ever got a Facebook account or began tweeting.  Even though I "semi-retired" only 5 years ago, it seems like "the dark ages" now, as far as all these technology tools are concerned.)

Was this the right decision?  I could have decided to go full-bore into full-time ministry in my 20s. But, I did not.  It's easy to look back and flog oneself over past decisions.  But, as I have often said, God can use our past, even our failures, no matter what they are - - - IF we will let Him.  While we must learn lessons from our past, it is pointless to continually go back to stare at the carnage, bemoaning the fact incessantly that the carnage occurred.  Does no good.

What we do have in our hands today - - - is TODAY!  So, here's the question.  When presented with opportunities to live out the gospel today, will we take them?  Paul's example is both inspiring and daunting, at the same time:

16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is God’s power for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. 17 For the righteousness of God is revealed in the gospel from faith to faith, just as it is written, “The righteous by faith will live.”

It's not "about us", you know.  The driving force behind us shining our light (Daniel 12:3) is that people who die without Christ as their Savior will be forever in Hell.  We tend to conveniently ignore that fact! It's too painful to contemplate; so, we shutter our eyes - - just pull the blinds down.  It tends to be overwhelming - - - I get that.

Here's the deal, though.  We can give money to missions, and should. We should exercise our ministry gifts/talents, and should.  But, beyond that, when God presents us with opportunities to share the gospel in more direct ways, we.must.not.be.ashamed.

Or fearful.
Sometimes, some of us are not "ashamed" exactly.  We are fearful - - of rejection, repercussions, consequences, etc.
Recently, I was given an opportunity to expand this blog ministry.  I was somewhat intimidated and had to "pray through" the circumstances, consult trusted advisors, search the Scriptures.   I've sensed God's leading in the situation, though, and am forging ahead.

Ok, let's move on to verse 17.  The scripture Paul quotes here is (originally) from Habakkuk 2:4.  But, in addition to Romans 1:17, it is also quoted in Galatians 3:11 and in Hebrews 10:38.  On second thought, there's too much here to cover today.  Let's defer this exposition until tomorrow.

Father God, make us bold as lions, yet meek as lambs, following the lead of Your Holy Spirit to share the gospel of our Savior.  And, for any readers who do not know Him in that way, may they open their hearts to embrace him, with the deepest of heart-felt belief, transformative belief, today.  In Jesus' name, amen.

1 comment:

  1. Gena - In just the few short days we have had dialog, your ministry has impacted me. I look forward to serving alongside you. Full Armor!

    ReplyDelete