Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Envy in the Body of Christ

Good morning!

This morning I'm meditating on John 2:27-36.  As is often the case with us humans, a territorial dispute has arisen among the followers of John the Baptist.  His disciples pointed out to him that Jesus was "moving in on his territory" by also baptizing nearby, and not only that, Jesus was attracting more followers!  John the B.'s response is such an role model for us!  In verses 27-30:

27 John replied, “No one can receive anything unless it has been given to him from heaven. 28 You yourselves can testify that I said, ‘I am not the Christ,’ but rather, ‘I have been sent before him.’ 29 The one who has the bride is the bridegroom. The friend of the bridegroom, who stands by and listens for him, rejoices greatly when he hears the bridegroom’s voice. This then is my joy, and it is complete.30 He must become more important while I become less important.”

Now, if this had been you or me, we might have responded like this:
"But, but,....this is MY ministry!  You can't take that away from me!"
"There is no room here for his ministry.  He needs to go do his thing somewhere else.  This glory is mine to enjoy.  I'm not sharing."

I'm smiling wryly as I write this because unfortunately, I've experienced this type of reaction personally and also seen it so often in the Body of Christ.   For much of my life, I was THE premiere female church soloist anywhere I worshipped.  Hands down, no contest.  This started in my home church, a little country Baptist church where, at 5 I was singing solos, at 9 playing piano for services and at 13 playing organ for services.  But, I've also served in large churches as well...paid soloist, choir director, etc.  Several years ago I began to see this change.  I was not young enough or hip enough.  The musical styles changed, and my vocal technique was not right for the particular setting. For a long, long time, this grieved me deeply, and yes, I was deeply envious, until I began to see that I was viewing this whole enchilada as MY ministry.  A grossly inappropriate, prideful attitude, yes? Oh yes.

God used these situations (and others) to teach me humility, and He is still teaching me this same lesson over and over these days because it is an area of spiritual weakness for me.  The way He has done this, though, has been to draw me closer to Him, challenged me to trust Him, and enabled me to use other gifts for His glory - - - the gifts of teaching, hospitality, leadership and prayer.  And, I am grateful.  Yes, you read that right - - - grateful.  He has led me and my nuclear family into opportunities of service I could never have imagined, years ago.  His blessings have been so abundant.  Joy abounding!

Listen to John's lessons:
1.  (vs. 27) No one can receive any spiritual gift, blessing, ministry, etc., unless it has been given to him from God.  Oh brothers, sisters, practice humility.  Yes, it takes diligent practice for some of us! Submit yourself to the Lord daily and ask Him to be the star of your particular show, not you.
2.  "He must increase, but I must decrease." (vs.30 King James version).  Believer, as you walk resplendent with Him, your goal should be that every day you find your joy fulfilled in this:  letting yourself become less important while He becomes more important.  When you find yourself tempted to have a resentful longing after another person's ministry, don't focus on that other person or on yourself.  Focus on Him!  Allow Him to have the glory, to "increase".

Oh Lord, please use each of us believers in Your kingdom as You see fit, for Your glory, not for ours. Please forgive us where we have stumbled in this area, and set our hearts aright as we confess before Your throne.  That You allow us to serve You is a tremendous blessing.  I appreciate so much how you have specially gifted each one of your redeemed children, and equipped us for Your service. Please give us vision to see what You have for each of us to do. Don't allow the things of this world to blind us, to cause us to miss it!  In Jesus' name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment