Friday, June 7, 2019

A Thriller, A Filler and a Spiller


Admittedly, I know nothing of gardening.  I blame my mother, who gardened little when I was young.  She worked about 50 hours a week, between her outside-the-home job, teaching 15 hours of music lessons a week and then add to that her church work on Sundays...good reasons why there was little time for gardening.  At any rate, I am not a gardener, by any stretch, regardless of who's to "blame".

But, I decided we needed a planter of lovely flowers outside the back door to the deck.  So, I bought a matchy-matchy pot at Wally World, and then went looking for some on-sale foliage with potting soil at the local mom-and-pop nursery. 
Unfortunately, I was lost as a goat.  The young man "manning the store" had no idea how to direct me, other than to send me to the correct greenhouse.
Fortunately, a stranger saw my bewilderment and stepped in, out of mercy, no doubt.  Her advice to me was to:
1) Pick a color scheme:  pinks/purples, reds or oranges.  (I chose the pinks.)
2) Get a "thriller', some "fillers" and some "spillers".  Some of you will know what that means.  For the rest of you who, like me, are "ignernt" (solid, country word meaning "ignorant", i.e. "lack of knowledge"), here's the explanation.

The thriller is the tall, lovely plant in the center of the arrangement.  It anchors the piece, and without it, you just have a mishmash of this and that.  You plant the thriller first.
The fillers are those plants that, along with the spillers, fill in between the base of the thriller and the rim of the container.
The spillers are trailing vine-like plants, inserted near the rim.  They then proceed to spill out over the edge of the planter, again, giving more dimension.

Three-in-one.

Remind you of anything?

The thriller reminds me of the salvation act/decision at the center of the Christian life.  Without it, you have nothing, or chaos, or both.  This anchors everything else, and is indispensable.
The fillers remind me of discipleship, which is the next step, along with the spillers, which make me think of evangelism.  Discipleship is necessary to surround and beautify the salvation decision.  Faith grows through acts of discipleship - - studying the Bible, learning to pray, fellowshipping with other believers.  Cultivating these habits deepen the relationship which began with the salvation decision; they are the "working out" of the initial act (Philippians 2:12).
The spillers represent the abundant Christian life spilling over to an unbelieving world as, by our example and through our words and deeds, we share the gospel with others.

A trifecta of beauty, representing the Christian's resplendent walk with THE Three-In-One, the Trinity: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

6Therefore, just as you have received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to walk in Him, 7rooted and built up in Him, established in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness.
Colossians 2:6-7 (Berean Study Bible)

Happy growing!


No comments:

Post a Comment