Wednesday, May 23, 2018

He is Divine, and I am De Branch


The title of this post is from a wonderful song by Keith Green, one of the first "contemporary" Christian music artists, and a deep lover of Jesus.  I still miss his ministry!  And, he's been gone 37 years....

Our text for today is John 15:1-17, a passage (one of my faves!) in which Jesus uses a metaphor of agriculture to describe His relationship with His children.

1“I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. 2He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunesa so that it will be even more fruitful. 3You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you.4Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.
5“I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.6If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. 7If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. 8This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.
9“As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. 10If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love. 11I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. 12My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. 13Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. 14You are my friends if you do what I command. 15I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. 16You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit—fruit that will last—and so that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you. 17This is my command: Love each other.

In the past I have used the word "abiding" as part of passwords for various technologies, because I love the way Jesus uses that word in this passage.  The NET Bible translation I've been reading, of late, translates it as "remain".  Others translate the word as "stay".

As I've mentioned before here in this blog, the Bible is full of paradoxes.  Two of those paradoxical themes surface here in this chapter, which is part of Jesus' last admonitions and encouragements to His disciples.  The other key theme in this passage is the theme of sacrificial love.  These words were spoken at or after the Last Supper and not long before the group left to go to the Garden of Gethsemane, where Jesus allowed Himself to be captured.

Let's deal with these one at a time.  In this post, we will focus on the first paradox and then the key theme.

What does it mean to abide (remain, stay) in Christ, and will the Heavenly Father "cut me off" from Himself?

Theologians debate this issue, which is commonly called "losing one's salvation".  Remember that we must take all Scripture into account when interpreting its meaning on a given issue such as this.  The Bible is not going to contradict itself, when an issue is investigated as a whole, although it may seem to if a verse or two is examined alone.

One thing here is sure:  true believers in Jesus Christ, those who have had their hearts sealed by His Holy Spirit when they entered into that "possession" by Him, WILL "bear fruit" (evidence their faith in Christ - - not earn it - - by their good works).

It is as inevitable as when a branch on an apple tree makes apples.  Apple trees do not make pears or kumquats.  They make apples.  This does not mean that Christian believers will do all things perfectly all the time.  That is an impossible standard for a fallen/redeemed creature.  But, most of the time, their actions will testify to their relationship with Jesus because they long to please Him.
And, when they're actions don't,....those branches get pruned.  OUCH!  Yes, the Father "prunes" such disobedient branches, so that they will become more fruitful.

You may have seen in the wintertime trees or bushes that have been extensively pruned, not just thinned or trimmed, but cut back to the point where it looks like they will never recover!  If the pruning is done correctly though, and in the right time of year, the tree or bush eventually bounces back to be more beautiful and fruitful than ever before.

So what about verse 2?  That sounds pretty permanent!
The English phrase "cut off" is translated in the Old Testament from the Hebrew word "karet" (anglicized).
In all cases where it is found, the phrase indications a severe punishment, and in most cases that punishment is either banishment from the people group or physical death.  In some cases, it is interpreted to have even more dire consequences - - such as the ending of a family line, or even so far as permanent separation from God.

Here in John 15:2,  the Greek word which is translated "takes away", "removes" or "cuts off" is "airei."
(The New Testament was written in Greek, the scholarly language of Jesus' day, even among the Jews.)
Accordingly, it's use in this verse can mean one of two things:
a.  It can mean that the true believer who is living in sin can offend the Father to the point that He says, "Enough!" and {cuts off} ends that person's physical life.  He "takes them away", takes them Home.
b.  It can mean that the person was never a true believer at all.
The example that comes to mind here is Judas Iscariot.  He was a pretender.  Jesus issued to him the call "Follow me", and Judas appeared to sincerely answer "yes".  He traveled around with Jesus and the disciples and even held the important position of treasurer of the group.  But, and this is the crucial point - - - his motives were not pure and his heart was never transformed.  He followed Jesus for personal gain, because he thought that Jesus would overthrow the Roman government and that he would gain a place of prominence in Jesus' earthly kingdom.  He never understood or desired the lordship of Jesus Christ over his heart and life.  There was no "heart change".
I wonder if Jesus was thinking of Judas Iscariot when he spoke those words in verse 2.

I cannot accept the interpretation that this verse means the Father takes away the believer's authentic relationship with His Son.  That runs contrary to the teachings of Scripture elsewhere.

Ok, so, if we accept that the preceding is true, what does it mean to abide {remain, stay} in Christ?
If we want to be as fruitful as possible, we must make the conscious choice to draw near to Him and to submit our will to His.  In Luke 9:23, Jesus called this "taking up the cross daily" to follow Him. Recall, dear reader, that Jesus Himself did this!  Look at His relationship to Father! He regularly prayed - - - not just those quick prayers before He worked a miracle - - - but deep, sustained prayer where he withdrew from other people to a isolated spot and talked to Daddy for hours!  He drew near to Father and submitted His will to His.  This is how we "keep His commandments".  As we study the Bible, pray and align our will with His, He shows us how to love Him more - - how to keep His commandments.
This is what is meant in verse 16 - - - if we align our will with Father's, then He will give us anything we ask, because we are asking in harmony with His plans.

And, what is the commandment Jesus mentions here?  To love one another.  (Remember John 13:34-35?)

“I give you a new commandment—to love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. 35 Everyone will know by this that you are my disciples—if you have love for one another.”

If we "abide" in Christ Jesus, we love our fellow man.  Again, Jesus is our example. (vs. 13)

"No one has greater love than this, that someone would lay down his life for his friends."

Of course, that is exactly what Jesus did for us.  He laid it down.
Jesus knows that in the days to come the disciples would be severely persecuted for His sake.  For this reason, He is urgently exhorting them to ... walk resplendent!

Song:  "He'll Take Care of the Rest", by Keith Green
https://youtu.be/MVDwIQv5m7Q

Father, I know that I am "kept" in Christ Jesus by Your mercy and grace, not through my own efforts. Just as it was impossible for me to reconcile my sinful self to you apart from my Savior, Jesus, it is equally impossible for me to sustain that spiritual union.  And, I am glad this is true, because my pride would threaten to rise up and claim praise for my puny efforts.  No, Lord, "it is all about You". However, this day I choose to draw near to You and to love You, to abide in You, and show my devotion by loving on those others You give me the opportunity to love today.  Align my will with Yours, Blessed Father, so that I may walk....resplendent!  In Jesus' name, amen.


Source:

No comments:

Post a Comment