Thursday, November 30, 2017

The Epitome of Desolation

The LORD will destroy the house of the proud: but he will establish the border of the widow.
Proverbs 15:25 (Webster's translation)

Today I am blogging about that which I know not of (personally).
Widowhood
Tho, if I outlive my precious husband, that will be my title, "The Widow Hood", I suppose.
Sigh!  Not a title I ever wish for.

I have a good friend who lost her husband recently.  It has been my honor and privilege to minister to her during this terrible stage of life.  But, it is impossible to truly put myself in her shoes.

The Bible describes widows in various verses (Deuteronomy 10:18, Psalms 68:5) as being in a place of most extreme desolation.  Those who have undergone such a powerful loss can surely testify to the truth of that statement.  Here, at the holidays, it can seem to hurt the worst. 

In biblical times, widows were utterly defenseless, unless cared for by their children.  Barren widows were the most at-risk.  They then went to their nearest kinsmen for aid.  Land-hungry, unscrupulous men would seek to take advantage of widows, in order to "breach their borders", that is, to confiscate their land and other assets.  The story of Naomi and Ruth in the Old Testament are wonderful illustrations of a widow's situation, although both trusted in their Lord to ultimately rescue them, to provide.  He surely did!

The Lord promises in today's proverb that a widow under the protection of the Lord is safer and more secure in all her ways than is the proud, haughty, self-sufficient person who trusts in his or her own strength.

Although many modern-day widows have either made financial preparations themselves, or their late husbands did on their behalf, we are wise to trust, not in our own financial preps, but instead in the Lord who "establishes the border of the widow". 

But you, O LORD, are a shield about me, my glory, and the lifter of my head.
Psalm 3:3 (ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment