Thursday, November 23, 2017

In Perpetua

I’m not much of a Christmas girl.
Yes, I know.....most women are.
The other day I was in a local store to buy some ribbon, which they had on sale.  The madness there that day - - - the oppressive array of glitz and chirping machines and twirling gadgets, the crowded aisles and press of people.  I found my ribbon, saw the checkout line was at least 20 people deep (no lie!) and I put my ribbon back and left.  Not feelin’ it.

But, Thanksgiving....ah!  It has always been my favorite holiday of the year, right behind Easter, which is my all-time favorite for reasons you can probably deduce.
Today’s verse for meditation is Proverbs 15:15, yes, that same proverb where we’ve been for a few days.

...a cheerful heart is a continual feast.
Proverbs 15:15 NIV

A continual feast.....another word for continual is “perpetual”.  I titled this post “In Perpetua”, because I love the Latin phrase from which our word, “perpetual” comes.  And, eternity is the eventual outworking of perpetuity, the God-ordained perpetuity.

Today, families will be gathering to swap stories, share experiences, encourage one another, advise one another, and hopefully not argue over opposing political points of view.  In addition to your turkey (no pardon for that bird!), dressing, Southern Baked Pies (I love you, Amanda!) and sides, I hope you serve up a heaping helping of cheerfulness, along with your thankfulness.

Human life is not perpetual in our physical forms.  Several of my loved ones will be facing their first Thanksgiving without a huge part of their hearts physically present.  Yesterday, we marked the 20th anniversary of my father’s death.  The pain of such a loss never truly goes away.  It is hard to be cheerful at such a time as when we are grieving the loss of a loved one.

Christians, we have so much to be cheerful about and thankful for....perpetually.  A glorious eternity with the One our soul loves and longs for being chief among our many blessings.  Let’s resolve to be cheerful and thankful today, but not only today ... perpetually, as we enjoy the continual feast of this resplendent walk with our Savior.

I am thankful for each of you who support my ministry, and I’m grateful for the privilege of walking this walk on earth with you either in person or through this blog.  My earnest prayer is that each of you either knows my Savior or will come to know Him, so that in eternity, we can continue to fellowship and praise the King of Kings together.  Much love to you all!  Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment