Thursday, October 8, 2015

To Jerusalem, Again

Good morning,

It is quite early here in my locale, and I only slept for about 5 hours.  When I was awake on my bed and praying the Lord sent me this scripture reference - - John 12:12, with the label "healing verse".  I could not remember what that verse said.  So, naturally, curiosity won out; I had to get up and look it up.  This is what I found:

The next day the large crowd that had come to the feast heard that Jesus was coming to Jerusalem.
John 12:12

In our church family many of us have been praying over several heartbreaking situations that have happened in the past two weeks, particularly in the last three days, and especially yesterday. Specifically, we have been praying for a miracle healing.  So, when the Lord burned this verse into my feeble mind, I was eager to go look it up.

Upon reading it, my first thought was, "What?!"  This verse seems to have nothing to do with the current prayer burden.  I have sat here and pondered and prayed over it.  This verse begins to tell the story of Jesus' triumphal entry into Jerusalem.  On the surface, it seemed so irrelevant and random that I truly wanted to reject it and not even blog about it.  The word "crazy" comes to mind...

Yesterday, I was reading about a young mother in our congregation who was reading the Bible story of Jonah and the whale to her young son.  He said to her, "That's a crazy book, Mama!", to which she thought, "Yes, I just love our crazy God."  Bless her!

The Holy Spirit moves in ways we cannot fully comprehend.  So, I'm going to be obedient and run with this verse today.  If you want to come along, "put on your crazy" and let's go.

What does this verse have to do with healing?  Malachi 4:2 prophesied of Jesus's first coming and how He would bring healing to all those who, by revering the name of the Lord God Almighty, hide under His wings.

But to you who fear My name The Sun of Righteousness shall arise With healing in His wings; and you shall go out and grow fat like stall-fed calves.

When Jesus was fulfilling other scriptures by riding into Jerusalem on a donkey, He was bringing with Him the healing that would allow all people who trust in Him to be reconciled to God.  In that sense, He came to Jerusalem during that Passion Week long ago to fulfill the will of His Father and to sacrifice Himself for our spiritual healing.  He, the Sun of Righteousness, came to Jerusalem with "healing in His wings".  His healing is a forever healing, one that cannot be revoked, one that makes our spirits fat and prosperous, like calves that are pampered and given the best food.

I've heard preachers say that references to Jerusalem can be interpreted as references to where we live/reside at the moment.  In that sense, Jerusalem would mean for me the greater Atlanta area.  Is Jesus coming to visit us here?  Is He bringing healing to the specific situation about which many of my brothers and sisters have been laboring in prayer?  We have been praying for a healing miracle. Is it on the way?  God is Sovereign.  His very love for us is in itself a miracle of healing.  Even so, unless He makes it very clear otherwise, I am choosing to have faith in His miraculous healing power.  I am putting my faith in Him for a healing miracle.

When the pre-incarnate Jesus was visiting Abraham and Sarah, He told them that Sarah would soon give birth to a son.  When Sarah laughed, He asked "Is anything too difficult for the LORD?" (Gen. 18:14).  The only true God, my Savior, Jesus Christ, can do anything.  He can raise the dead, and will.  He can heal any sickness.  He can bind up any wounds - - physical, mental, spiritual.  He can cure addictions to the vilest of drugs.  He can mend the most devastated and broken of hearts. His power and greatness are limitless!

Trust in the LORD forever, for in GOD the LORD we have an everlasting Rock.
Isaiah 26:4 

Another application could be that maybe God is speaking to my heart about the specific city of Jerusalem.  Things are heating up in the Middle East.  It certainly appears that we are living in what is commonly referred to as "the end times".  Many believe that Jesus' return is imminent.  Perhaps His return to Jerusalem is near.  This time, He won't be riding in meekly, on a donkey.  He will return with His Beloved and with all the heavenly hosts, as the Triumphant King.  I look forward to being with Him, on that great day.

Loving Father, You do all things well.  Your ways are perfect.  Your love is complete and eternal.  I pray for Jesus to come to Jerusalem...again, for Your honor and glory.  In my Savior's name, that Name which is above every name, I pray, amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment