Saturday, March 30, 2019

Unplanned - - A Reflection and Movie Review


Before I formed you in the womb I knew you....
Jeremiah 1:5a (ESV)

Yesterday was one of those historic days where the events themselves just made an odd alignment in my soul.  First of all, it was our older son's 24th birthday.  So, my mind wandered back to that day when I gave birth to that nearly 10-pound baby.  God richly blessed us in the conception department.  It took little time for me to become pregnant with either of our sons.  I remember back in 1996 - - I felt we needed to start "trying" ahead of the schedule I wanted our second child to arrive on.  My hope was to have another mid-to-late spring birth, as our first son had been.  But, "trying" took all of one cycle and behold!  I was pregnant again.  My heart goes out to women who so desperately want to conceive and, for a myriad of reasons, just can't.  This very moment, friends are working through the adoption process . . . with a foreign country.  It is very difficult to adopt an American baby.  There just are not many babies who survive in order to become adopted here.

Then, also yesterday, I kept for the first time, my 3-month old great nephew all day.  I have committed to doing this one day a week for the foreseeable future.  He is a sweet, adorable baby and, although I smelled like baby puke from 7:30 a.m. until 6:00 p.m., I enjoyed every moment of our time together.
By 6:35 p.m., Hubs and I were relaxing in a movie theater, popcorn and coke for dinner, watching insipid "pre-previews" until the movie, "Unplanned" began.  Last night was opening night.  Hubs had not wanted to go see this film; he went with me as an act of love.  And, I understand and appreciate that so much.

Never having been a girl to "look away" or to shy away from a fight, I have long been familiar with the American "fight for life".  I know how critical it is to financially support those who make such films, because, otherwise, the true, undistorted message of God's truth will not "get out there".  I so appreciate Mike Lindell, yes, the "My Pillow Guy", who was the executive producer of this film.  That means he bankrolled it.  Otherwise, it could not have been made.  The filmmakers said they had tried twice to bring the film to fruition, and their efforts had been frustrated both times.  I believe this is because God wanted this film to premiere at this time - - - a time when some states are enacting pro-death legislation (NY, VA, among others), and other are enacting strong pro-life legislation (GA, OH, etc.)  This fight will eventually return to SCOTUS, the Supreme Court of the United States.

It occurred to me, while musing on the bloody legacy of Roe v. Wade this morning, that most of the people I now know could have been legally aborted by their mothers - - people I love and could not imagine my life without could simply have never existed at all outside the womb.  Over 61 million US babies' lives taken through abortion in the past 36 years!1

"Unplanned" is a movie of deep woundedness and supernatural redemption.  The film is based on the true story of Abby Johnson, who "rose" to be the youngest clinic director in the history of Planned Parenthood.  I watched her interview this morning on national TV.  She said it was hard to lay out the most intimate details of her personal life for all the world to see.  No kidding.... The movie goes beyond frank to being brutally honest.  The scene where Abby witnesses a late-term abortion - - I simply could not watch.  I just bowed my head and cried.

The movie gives an even-handed treatment of the topic, showing that fringe element of ugliness on the alt-right side of the issue as well as the pervasive evil at the core of Planned Parenthood.  I commend the filmmakers for their honesty.  Not all who call themselves "pro-life" are compassionate toward women who, through their own choices or not, find themselves faced with heart-rending decisions.  I do not condone or support such tactics, even though I am staunchly pro-life.  Y'all, Jesus deal with these situations similarly to how he dealt with the Woman Caught in Adultery (John 8:1-11) or the Woman at the Well (John 4:1-42).  Jesus would NOT dress up in a Halloween costume as The Grim Reaper and scream invectives at sorrowing women in the worst crises of their lives.

There was another weird confluence yesterday, and I alluded to it above.  Here in my home state of Georgia the legislature passed the most restrictive anti-abortion bill in the nation.  And, the governor, himself pro-life, will sign it in a few days.  It will certainly be challenged in the liberal courts.  But, for now, those who believe in the sanctity of human life are rejoicing.  Well, most are.  There is a small element dissing the legislation because it allows for some exceptions.  I call this the "all or nothing" approach.  In the American system of governance one rarely achieves "everything" desired.  Compromise is a part of the process.  That Georgia was able to get this bill passed is in itself a miracle of God.  Why rail against it because it "does not go far enough"?  Thousands of babies' lives will be saved in Georgia because of this legislation.  I believe we should rejoice in that.

Redemption.  Oh how I thank God for His grace!  Only God can forgive my sins, your sins, the sins of anyone who throws themselves into His loving, forgiving, restoring arms.  This film does not leave the viewer without hope.  Hope is a thread woven throughout the movie, hallelujah!  Please go see it in a theater this weekend, if possible.  Take a pro-choice friend!  In doing so you will be supporting the efforts of those who are trying to save unborn lives.  Your support matters, whether you speak with your prayers, with your money, with your time, or all of those!  Locally, our pro-life center, The Hope Center of Woodstock, is having a Walk for Life, on April 27th, 9:00 a.m.  Learn more here:  supporthopecenter.com

#SaveTheBabyHumans

13For you formed my inward parts;
you knitted me together in my mother’s womb.
14I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.a
Wonderful are your works;
my soul knows it very well.
15My frame was not hidden from you,
when I was being made in secret,
intricately woven in the depths of the earth.
16Your eyes saw my unformed substance;
in your book were written, every one of them,
the days that were formed for me,
when as yet there was none of them.

Psalm 139:13-16 (ESV)

Source:

1    http://www.numberofabortions.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment