Tuesday, July 4, 2017

How 2B Happy - - A Father's Benediction


The daddy, knowing that his cancer was far advanced, gathered his children around him for a brief, but important, conversation.  There were many tears in the eyes of his loved ones, as they knew his time on this earth was steadily fleeing away.

This is what he said.

"My beloved children, in my time with you, I have tried to model the life of an upright man, a man of integrity.  I have adhered strictly to a code of conduct, ingrained in me through my relationships with those who possessed great wisdom themselves.  If my personal example has not been enough, let me be very direct with you, so that you will know assuredly how to find happiness."

"Happiness flows from living a life guided by wisdom.  Now, in this earthly life, there are many who claim to know the path to wisdom, which is the same as the path to some "god" because - - make no mistake - - every human being worships someone or some thing.
The lover of money and wealth makes those his god, believing that achieving great wealth will bring happiness.  It does not.
The lover of good health makes that his god, believing that preservation of the body and length of life will bring happiness.  While this is a good practice, it does not guarantee happiness.
The lover of worldly philosophy makes zeal for that belief system his god.  But, no worldly system will ever bring lasting happiness.
The lover of ... his lover ... is the person who believes another person (or persons) will bring the happiness so desperately sought.  But, all of us are grossly imperfect.  Upon the realization of that the lover feels the weight of crushing disappointment.
These are but three examples of wrong-headed pursuits of happiness."

"My children, do not forget what I am about to tell you.  Let your hearts hold tightly to these words.  They will not only make your life long; they will bring you peace and happiness."

"Kindness and truth must guide your life.  Truth is essential, and is only found in the Word of God, namely, in the person of Jesus Christ.  But, kindness is also essential.  Neither can overrule the other.  Do not be truthful in an unkind manner.  Do not be kind in an untruthful manner.  The Savior gave a beautiful example of this in His dealings with the Samaritan woman He met at the well.  The story is in John 4.  Then again, He interacted similarly with the woman caught in the act of adultery.  That story is in John 8.
Become deeply familiar with the truth revealed in the Holy Bible.  Then, write it with kindness on the tablets of your heart."

"There will be times when you will not understand what is happening to you.  Things will often not "go according to plan" - - your plan, that is.  You will be treated unfairly by others.  You may be slandered or irreparably damaged or even killed.  The one who has wisdom, however, trusts God in the middle of any mess that comes along.  Even when you are so confused and so totally do not understand, trust God.  Trust His plan.  Trust His mighty hand.  His plan and ways are always completely perfect.  He completely directs the paths of those who acknowledge His sovereignty and who trust Him implicitly.  Hold on to Him.  You may never in this life gain perfect understanding of your circumstances, but you can rest in His perfect love for you, His child."

"There will be times when the wisdom of this world lures you.  Turn away from it.  The paths it will lead you down will be destructive.  Any 'wisdom' that runs contrary to the ways and word of God is false wisdom.  Pay no attention to how it may "feel right".  Feelings can be deceptive and ultimately destructive.  Right feelings follow right actions; and right actions are born out of right beliefs."

"The way you were raised reflects God's wisdom.  You have been taught what is right.  If you live this way, you will be successful.  It is on these godly principles this country in which you live was founded. This body of biblical wisdom has made the USA a world power.  Over our 241-year history worldly philosophy has warred against God's body of truth, revealed to God's people.  Now, in the waning days of my own life, I think it is an honest assessment to say that in America today God's truth is the minority opinion."

"As God prospers you and your growing families, honor Him with your wealth, including the small measure of mine you will inherit after I'm gone.  I'm not talking only about tithing, although that is a principle I have practiced since my youth.  I'm advising you to spend your money on things that will honor God who gave His very most precious wealth, His Son, to purchase you, to redeem you, to buy you back from the certainty of spiritual death and Hell.  He owns all the financial wealth in this world - - not the Guggenheims, not the Rockefellers, not the Rothschilds.  It is all His.  Make certain you honor Him in every financial decision, over and above your tithe."

"Over the years I have had to discipline you - - some of you many times!  I have done this because I love you and did not want to see your lives shipwrecked.  I hope you are appropriately grateful for my 'tough love'.  It brings me great happiness to see each of you living productively.  As you have no doubt found and will continue to find, God Himself will at times discipline you.  You will continue to make misjudgments and mistakes.  He will often allow you to experience the consequences of those choices.  But, remember, as I did in my role as your earthly father - - - your heavenly Father does this because He loves you.  He wants to purify and refine you, to have you grow deeper into His love for you.  He delights in you!  So, don't despise or reject His correction. He seeks to steer you back onto the path of wisdom, the path that leads to peace, contentment and prosperity in this life and that ends in an eternity with Him."

"My children, the words I have spoken to you today were paraphrased from Proverbs 3:1-18.  God's way of wisdom was revealed ultimately in His Son, my Savior and I pray yours as well.  In Jesus and in Him alone is the fullest joy available to us as we walk this Earth.  Seek Him daily.  Spend time with Him.  Worship Him in all you do.  If you do, your soul will be at rest, both now and forever."

"I believe that each of you has made the decision to follow Jesus Christ as your only way to escape God's judgment.  But, I can't know that for sure.  Only you know whether you have or not.  The surest thing I know from this life of mine is the certainty that He.Is.All.  I pray you know that in your heart as well, a knowledge that can only come from surrendering to Him as the Lord of your life.  
I deeply love each one of you, and I pray that I will see each of you in Heaven, where we will enjoy our Savior and each other day after day, in never-ending happiness. " 





No comments:

Post a Comment