Thursday, April 20, 2017

So Will We

I think I mentioned here in the blog that, on April 8th of this year, I lost my dear godmother.  If I didn't mention it here, and honestly I am too weary to look back and see, it's because hot-on-the-heels of that loss I got news that one of my beloved uncles was close to crossing over.  And, I went from moving on through one grieving process to adding on yet another.  Sure enough, the day after Easter, my sweet uncle passed on.

It didn't take a genius, since I am certainly not one, to figure this out - - - that generation of aunts and uncles, all in their 70s and 80s, will likely pass from my earthly life, one by one, in an ever-increasing tide of my personal pain and loss.

My bags are packed now.  I'm sitting here waiting on my traveling companions.  We are headed to the hometown of my aunt, uncle and cousins, not only to mourn our nearly inconsolable loss, but to also lift up the name of the eternal One whom he loved so dearly and served so faithfully.

And, there is our consolation.  As he served Jesus Christ, the One and Only, giving our generation of children and cousins a sterling example to follow, we, too, chose to follow the Matchless One in our lives.  It is because we serve the same Savior and King that we can be comforted.  It is because we trust in the finished work He did, and which we just last Sunday celebrated, that we are certain, more certain than of anything else in this world, that we will join with Ted some day, when our time here is over, whenever that is.

As he walked through the valley of the shadow of death, so will we, although not alone.
As he now and forever worships and praises the God his heart adores, so will we.

I spoke these words at my godmother's funeral because they are so dear to me.  They were then. They are today.  They will be every time the pain and loss grow a little greater.  Because these words are spirit and they are life!

Jesus said to herI am the resurrection and the lifeWhoever believes in me
though he dieyet shall he live26 and everyone who lives and believes in me shall 
never dieDo you believe this?”
John 11:25 ESV

Yes, Lord, we believe.  And we bless Your holy name forever!

1 comment: