Sunday, September 4, 2016

Labor Day and Lake Church


I can't remember the last time I was at "lake church".  That's what my family calls it; some call it "boat church" because folks journey there in their boats, tie up and then sit down with coffee in hand, dog by the side, on the hard, back-less benches.  It's a non-demominational, Christian service, held on Sunday mornings at Moccassin Creek State Park, from May-October, in an open-air pavilion.  On this Labor Day weekend, the place was packed.  SRO.

It was a thrill to be greeted by a fellow graduate of the Habersham Central class of '75, Locke Arnold, who is now a successful businessman in the area.  After mother and I were seated beside my godparents on the front row, a man asked if he could join us.  He was there with his wife and a bunch of teenagers, who sat behind us.  Turns out, he is John Weir, whose family's place is right around the bend from ours. He used to be called "John Mahlon", after his daddy, Mahlon Weir.  The Weirs, like us, have had a place on Burton "forever", it seems.  They also know my godparents, the Congdons, who sat on mother's other side today.

The keyboardist who played the old hymns was J.P. Miles, who lives at the end of our cove. Can't remember the last time I saw him.  The song leader declared that J.P. was playing everything at "78 speed", which was largely true.  I leaned over and commented to John that the young folks present would have no clue what that reference meant....We sang several old hymns - - - "Victory in Jesus", "I'm So Glad to Be Part of the Family of God", "I'll Fly Away, Where Could I Go But to the Lord", "He Keeps Me Singing".  The message was brought by a Baptist minister from Clayton.  He preached compellingly on the story of Jonah, and gave an invitation to accept Jesus as Savior, at the end.  I'm always glad for that.  Every Sunday "boat church" invites a different guest minister who brings the Word.  As I listened, I sometimes would turn and gaze out over the lake, taking in God's beautiful creation.

Today I was thinking about how grateful I am that in our country we can go just about anywhere and still have fellowship with folks who worship our Savior.  And, we can do it boldly, with joy, full-out in the open with no fear of persecution.  I'm also grateful for "place" - - the privilege of still getting to worship with my mother and godparents and neighbors here on this beautiful lake in North Georgia, that so many call "my second home".

Jesus said,

28 “Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest. 
29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 
30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
Matthew 11:28-30

Happy Labor Day weekend, Y'all, wherever you are...


1 comment: