Friday, June 24, 2016

Deep, Permeating Love



So, I begin this post by confessing my complete inadequacy to expound upon the topic.  That being said, I'll try.  Let's go.  Today's text is Philippians 3:8-11 (NET).

8  More than that, I now regard all things as liabilities compared to the far greater value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things – indeed, I regard them as dung! – that I may gain Christ, 9  and be found in him, not because I have my own righteousness derived from the law, but because I have the righteousness that comes by way of Christ’s faithfulness – a righteousness from God that is in fact based on Christ’s faithfulness. 10  My aim is to know him, to experience the power of his resurrection, to share in his sufferings, and to be like him in his death, 11 and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead.

There are some sermons I will remember forever.
The setting was my college campus, Bob Jones University.  I was sitting in Sunday School - - - which we called Baptist Girls.  The speaker/teacher that morning was one of our class officers.  I didn't know her very well.  Baptist Girls was a huge SS class - - 300-400 girls, on average.   It was not an intimate setting.  Bob Jones University was a place where there was a great deal of emphasis on conformity, rules-following.  I was blessed to be educated there, graduating with a B.S. in education.  But, in all respects, it was an artificial environment, from the standpoint it did not mirror the outside world.  At any rate, I digress.
So, here was this college girl, teaching to us from Philippians.  The verses above were her text, and I remember being stunned at the revelation she shared, the illumination I received.  I'm sure I had heard sermons on these verses before, but then the truth of Paul's words hit home like a sledgehammer.

That.I.May.Know.Him.
As the Hokey-Pokey song exclaims, "That's what it's all about!"

I have been powerfully distracted this morning while trying to write this blog.  There are many "important" things going on in my life right now.  This is by design, God's and Satan's.  God has plans for me to carry out for His kingdom, as I "live out my salvation".  Satan throws distractions into my path, to pull me off course.  But, both of these things, this yin/yang struggle, can obscure the central issue: how is my relationship with Him?  How well do I know Him?

Permeate....I love that word.  It means  "to diffuse through".  If you have ever used a diffusing machine to humidify a room or to spread essential oil into the air, you know that the moisture (and
fragrance) soon permeate the air, the space in which you dwell.

Walking with Jesus, knowing Him, should be like that.  His spirit lives in us, and should PERMEATE our being.  Jesus is not satisfied with a "compartment" in our lives; He desires to permeate every particle of our being.  Just as we move through air, as we live our physical lives, so may we have our individual spirits soaking up His essence, every moment.

This is the transformed, resplendent life! 

Balulalow

O my dear heart, young Jesus sweet,
Prepare thy cradle in my spirit
And I shall rock thee in my heart
And never more be parted from thee.

But I shall praise thee evermore
With songs sweet unto thy glory;
The knees of my heart shall I bow
And sing that true Balulalow. ('Lullaby')

- See more at: http://www.prayers-for-special-help.com/poems-about-jesus.html#sthash.lrpXUqhL.dpuf

Balulalow

O my dear heart, young Jesus sweet,
Prepare thy cradle in my spirit
And I shall rock thee in my heart
And never more be parted from thee.

But I shall praise thee evermore
With songs sweet unto thy glory;
The knees of my heart shall I bow
And sing that true Balulalow. ('Lullaby')

- See more at: http://www.prayers-for-special-help.com/poems-about-jesus.html#sthash.lrpXUqhL.dpuf
Balulalow

O my dear heart, young Jesus sweet
Prepare thy cradle in my spirit
And I shall rock thee in my heart
And nevermore be parted from thee.

But, I shall praise thee evermore
With songs sweet unto thy glory
The knees of my heart shall I bow
And sing that true Balulalow ("Lullaby")  
by Anthony Way                                         

Balulalow

O my dear heart, young Jesus sweet,
Prepare thy cradle in my spirit
And I shall rock thee in my heart
And never more be parted from thee.
But I shall praise thee evermore
With songs sweet unto thy glory;
The knees of my heart shall I bow
And sing that true Balulalow. ('Lullaby')
- See more at: http://www.prayers-for-special-help.com/poems-about-jesus.html#sthash.lrpXUqhL.dpuf

No comments:

Post a Comment