Friday, May 6, 2016

When Mothering is Nuts, Nuts, NUTS!


I've mentioned my sister in Christ, Leah Adams (leahadams.org), here in the the RDM blog. It's just a total treat to visit her The Loft, where she allows fellow bloggers to post once a week.  This week, however, the prompt stumped me. The topic is "Laughter".

Normally, what I do is to comb through prior RDM blog posts to find one that fits.  But, this time, I realized that no such beastie existed!  This hard, cold fact made me realize that my blog is in need of some more light-hearted content.  It also reminded me of one of the funniest incidents of my life, when Hubster and I were new parents.  Since Mother's Day is right around the corner, this will suffice as my Mother's Day post as well.

I guess some of you readers, those of you who do not know me well, think that I'm some "better-than-thou" Christian, merely because I write this blog.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  I heard that someone posted on Facebook a while back, "Lord, please make my life as wonderful as it looks on Facebook!"  The truth is that I'm just a sinner saved by grace, and like you, have to deal with bodily fluids more often than I'd like.

Enjoy this journal entry from May, 1995, with names obscured to protect the shy!  ;)  And Happy Mother's Day!

Last week, we took our first family "vacation".  We three  - - 2 brand-new parents and their less-than-2-month-old baby - - -went to St. Simon's Island in coastal Georgia.  I found out what an ordeal it is to travel with a formula-fed infant.  There is so much "equipment" to pack.  It took me an hour to get just J. packed!  So, we were about 45 minutes late leaving.  Hubster went to work for a little while on Thursday morning.  On the way down, we stopped near Barnesville for lunch at a buffet place called Buckner's.  It was delicious.  Bill was already dressed in his suit, for his appearance at the awards ceremony that night.  Unfortunately, when he was burping J at lunch, he forgot to use the burping cloth, and J adorned his suit jacket with a hefty amount of spit-up.  As we got ready to leave, I went to the restroom while Bill took Jesse out to the car.  He was changing our precious baby's diaper in the backseat, when J shot a stream of pee clear across the backseat to where Hubster's clothes were hanging.  Pee got all over his only other suit coat, which he was forced to wear to the awards presentations later that evening!

Pee was a prominent feature in the trip.  J slept almost the whole way down to the coast.  Therefore, the first night J slept very little; oh......but, his kidneys were active!  He peed through two sets of pajamas.  He slept little the second night too.  So, by the time we got home on Saturday, I was an absolute zombie!  Even though I took 8 or 9 changes of clothes for him, I came home with only one change left, and no sets of pajamas left.  J slept in his diaper and a tee shirt the second night!  I forgot to take a slip for my second dress and could not wear it because it was too sheer.  J peed on my only other dress that first night, during the awards ceremony. This means that I was a good "helpmeet" to Hubster - - - we both attended the event smelling like baby pee!  

(And, no, there was no in-hotel laundry service; this was an educators' event, held at a Holiday Inn! You know, there's such "big bucks" in the field of education...)

I also forgot to carry a can opener for the Isomil formula can.  We had to borrow one at the restaurant where we had lunch on Friday.
Whoever said that it is easy to travel with infants is nuts, nuts, nuts!

Well, I can laugh about it now.  And, "a joyful heart is good medicine"! (Proverbs 17:22)  If you don't think your mother had some similar escapades, think again.  Tell you love her this weekend!

Father God, thank you for the awesome privilege of having a godly mother and for the equally awesome privilege to be one to my two absolutely fabulous boys!  All of us are grossly imperfect, which, of course, gives your unearthly glory a chance to shine!  In Jesus' name, amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment