Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Justice or Vengeance


A friend of mine from church has been selected to be in the jury pool for one of the most infamous criminal trials in our state's history. If you are reading this in real time, and you are my neighbor, you probably know exactly which one I mean.  Horrible case!  My friend is not at all eager to serve on the jury and hopes she is eliminated from consideration.  I can certainly understand her repugnance. Staring courageously into the eyes of pure evil is a daunting assignment.  Even more daunting is to admit that if it were not for God's grace to me, I might have done the same or similar crime.

Today's verses from Romans 12 are relevant to this situation.

17Do not repay anyone evil for evil; consider what is good before all people.  18If possible, so far as it depends on you, leave peaceably with all people.  19Do not avenge yourselves, dear friends, but give place to God's wrath, for it is written, "Vengeance is mine, I will repay,"  says the Lord. 20Rather, if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him a drink; for in doing this you will be heaping burning coals on his head.  21Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
Romans 12:17-21

These verses warn against "taking law into our own hands". (In 1 Thessalonians 5:15,  Paul admonished the Thessalonian church similarly.)  I have not ever been in a situation where someone I loved had been terribly wronged.  I'm sure if I were, I would be tempted to kill whomever had hurt my loved one.  But, the Lord warns us against this type of retribution, and it is to address such evil and lawlessness that we have the American legal system (as well as legal systems in other countries).

Although a long-time registered voter, I have never been called to be in a jury pool.  If called, I'd want to do my civic duty.  While nowhere near perfect, our legal system is present as a sanctioned way to right wrongs (or perceived wrongs).  It relies on the moral character of impartial citizens to balance the scales of justice between the plaintiff and defendant.

No system is perfect, however.  The Lord, our Perfect Judge, has promised to "repay" those who have wronged others, whether through the criminal or civil justice systems, or not.  Even in cases where the justice system fails - - - where criminals are not caught and/or charged, when verdicts seem insufficient or just plain wrong - - - God has promised to make things right.  Are we willing to trust Him in this?

Verses 20 and 21 speak of our additional Christian response (in addition to trusting God to make things right): basically, forgiveness.  You can't extend kindness the way it is described in these verses without first forgiving.  The most natural human response to such a deep wrong is a primal anger, followed by extreme heartbreak. These emotions are not wrong!  But, if those are allowed to turn into vengeance or bitterness and hatred, we are not only dishonoring the one who was wronged, injured or killed, we are also maiming and deforming our own souls.  It has been said that "bitterness is a poison we drink ourselves".

Self-sought vengeance never satisfies.  This is the testimony of those who have gone down that path.

I have experienced smaller "wrongs", and even on that scale I know for certain that I am unable in- and-of-myself to forgive the one who wronged me.  The only way it is possible is through the power of the Holy Spirit.  Forgiveness goes against every human impulse; only the supernatural can enable it.

Some have said, "Well, he or she has not asked for forgiveness."  That may be true.  It doesn't negate our need to forgive.  Once again, our Lord Jesus is the best example.  He hung on the cross, horribly wronged, in excruciating pain and said, "Father forgive them; they have no idea what they are doing." (Luke 23:34) Not only did His love extend to carrying our sins and enduring the worst of physical, mental and spiritual agony, it extended to forgiving those people Satan had used as his tools in the cosmic battle.

Father, I did not enjoy meditating on these verses or writing this post today.  It is painful to even contemplate such deep hurt, anger and grief.  I pray for my sister this morning, that You would watch over her as she does her duty as a citizen.  I know you have put her where she is for a reason. Whether she is selected or not, be very real and near to her spirit, Lord.  If she is chosen, I know You will sustain, support and guide her.  I also want to pray for those who have been deeply, unjustly harmed by others.  I'm grateful that Your perfect righteousness will not allow injustice to go unpunished.  You have promised to make things right, and we must, MUST trust You in this, Father. Give us grace, courage and, in the end, peace, through the power of Your Holy Spirit.  In Jesus' name, amen.

Sources:

https://carm.org/christianity/testimonies/son-murdered-and-he-forgives-murderer-jess-w-martins-story


No comments:

Post a Comment