Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Chasing Hospitality


There's a lady blogger who I was introduced to by my uncle (of all people!)  When I told him about the newest phase of my blogging ministry (making and posting videos of my posts), he recommended I check out Leah Adams' blog: leahadams.org
What a wonderful gift he gave me!
Leah is a gifted Bible teacher, but what further distinguishes her blog is her hospitality.
Let me 'splain....

First of all, Leah always welcomes comments on her blog posts, and she regularly responds to them. But then, on Wednesday mornings, she opens up her blog so that fellow bloggers can post on a topic of Leah's choosing.  For example, today's topic is "healthy living", and I posted "Eating the Starter" from my blog, back in March.  I just love reading the God-given wisdom from fellow Christians who post there.

I was thinking of Leah's 21st c. hospitality as I meditated on today's verse, Romans 12:13 (NET).

Contribute to the needs of the saints, pursue hospitality.

See, through her technology-fueled ministry, Leah contributes to the needs of the saints.  She does so beautifully what I strive to do at Resplendent Daughter blog.  But, as opposed to what I do, which is to post a devotional blog post most days, she opens her hand and opens her blog to the contributions of others.  She actively solicits God's wisdom, as revealed through others.  She chases hospitality!
Through her example, I am so uplifted and inspired!

As we dig deeper into this verse, we see that Paul is talking about the many ways we as followers of Jesus Christ (saints) should support one another.  (In the very next verse, Paul addresses how we should interact with those outside of Christ, who do not yet know him.  We will get to that tomorrow!)

My chiropractor likes to affirm that God created the human body with a tremendous capacity to heal itself, and I believe that is largely true.  So, we as The Body of Christ can be sources of healing to each other, if we only will.  When God reveals to us individually a need of another member of The Body, we should respond by rushing to meet that need.  I believe this is why Paul used the verb "pursue" (more literally translated "practice") here.  There should be no wavering or hesitation.  It should be a habit which we allow the Holy Spirit to form within us.

How does this verse speak to you, personally?  Has God revealed to you ways you can pursue hospitality toward fellow believers?  Has God used a fellow believer to bless you?  If so, please share in the comments section of today's post.  In so doing, you may bless someone else!

Father, I confess that there have been times I have not been open-handed or open-hearted to the needs of fellow believers, because I have been too consumed with my own self-interests.  Thank you for opportunities to be hospitable, loving and giving toward our brothers and sisters in Christ.  Help me to both recognize them and seize them for Your glory!  In this way, I show to the world a tiny glimpse of the perfect love You poured out and continue to lavish on me in Jesus, my Savior, in whose name I pray, amen.


2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, Gena, I am so humbled. Thank you for such kind words about the ministry that God had given to me. A few years ago God led me to begin encouraging other bloggers, as well as those within my personal sphere locally. I believe it is something we, as the older women in the body of Christ, should be actively doing as mentors to the younger women in the body. Thank you for encouraging me, Gena. Many blessings to you as you serve our Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leah, I completely agree! There is such tremendous joy in fulfilling one's God-given mission, isn't there? Thanks for stopping by. You never fail to encourage me, and I pray His richest continued blessings on your ministry!

    ReplyDelete