Saturday, December 19, 2015

Easy Days



Today is one of those beautiful, joyful days.  Sometimes it seems as if the days slog by, or that they fly by (when you need more hours in the day).  But, today is not one of those days.  This day is a wedding day, in my family.  My niece is marrying the nephew of one of my dearest childhood friends.  This family that has always seemed like "family" now truly will be, in the most legal sense of the word, family.  Hallelujah!

The mother of the bride, my sister, the mother of the groom, and I have been running around this morning, attending to last-minute details.  There are always some last-minute "water into wine" miracles needed!  Here and there, between blogging, I've gotten to be that bringer of miracles ... while holding joyful tears at bay.  So, my blog formatting looks crazy, because I am cray-cray today. That.Is.All.

The text that Ann Voskamp is featuring today, in my ongoing tracking here in the blog with her Advent series, is Habakkuk 3:17-19.


When the fig tree does not bud,

and there are no grapes on the vines;
when the olive trees do not produce,
and the fields yield no crops;
when the sheep disappear from the pen,
and there are no cattle in the stalls,
18 
I will rejoice because of the Lord;
I will be happy because of the God who delivers me!
19 
The sovereign Lord is my source of strength.
He gives me the agility of a deer.


This text speaks of rejoicing always, even under the direst of life's circumstances, letting the Holy Spirit fill you up to praise Him, no matter what.  Its parallel in the New Testament is 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18.

Always rejoice, constantly pray, in everything give thanks.  For this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.


Today, it's an easy task.  Praise the Lord, for He is GOOD!

Below is a wedding blessing, written by my friend, Susan Browning Schultz.  I thank her for the permission to use it to bless my niece and her soon-to-be husband today.


Seven Helpings of Marriage Wisdom
1.God always encourages us to be the person you would like to be married to. If you need more understanding; give more love and understanding to your spouse. “Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interest of others.” Philippians 2:3-4
2.Nobody is perfect. Don’t let the world find out about your spouse’s imperfections via you. “The heart of her husband trusts in her.” Proverbs 31:11
3.Make it a point to give your spouse the best of you: the best of your touch, the best of your good attitude, the best laughter, and the best words. Don’t always bring them what’s left over after the world has drained you. “ . . . But set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity.” 1 Timothy 4:12
4.Be intentional. Each day look for ways to bless your spouse. “Outdo one another in showing honor.” Romans 12:10
5.Believe the best about your spouse, even when they don’t communicate well and don’t keep a record of all of their mistakes. “Love always protects, always trusts, and always perseveres.” 1 Corinthians 13
6.Greet your spouse with a kiss. Positive touch releases endorphins so you associate your spouse with pleasant feelings. “Kiss me and kiss me again.” Song of Songs 1:2

7.This one is for later: Life affects us all. No one remains the same. We change physically; act less romantic, and so forth. Take time to find the two people who fell in love and reconnect. “Rejoice in the wife of your youth.” Proverbs 5:18

I hope each of you can praise today...no matter what.

Dear God, thank you for those halcyon days when it is so very easy to praise You!  We need them, Lord, to carry us through the rough days, when praising You is a more costly act of worship.  Thank you for the joy that a wedding brings, that you have given my niece a godly man to be her husband.  I pray your richest blessings on them and on the generations following.  (Deuteronomy 5:10).  In Jesus' name, amen.

Source:

Voskamp, Ann. The Greatest Gift: Unwrapping the Full Love Story of Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment