Thursday, September 3, 2015

War Room

Good morning,

Last week, right in the middle of the play performances, I needed a break, lol!  The movie, "War Room", was in its opening weekend.  Because I had heard that it was a great movie with a Christian message, I asked Hubster to take me to see it Saturday night.  If it was "that good", I wanted to give my money on opening weekend.

I was not disappointed --- great movie.  If you have not seen it, and you are a Christian, go. (Even if you are not a believer, you will find it provocative.)

Why blog about this?

Yesterday, I mentioned that I'm preparing for a mission trip to Peru.  I've been asked to teach Bible to a group of Peruvian ladies in Cusco.  One of the topics I've been asked to teach on is how the women can lead in their churches.

The religious culture of Peru is highly Roman Catholic.  There are a few charismatic Christian churches there as well.  The group we will be working with is called Zona Zegura.  It seeks to make Christian converts and start home churches, of which, last I heard, they had about 12 active, vibrant home-churches established.

This is, of course, a very different model from what we have here in the States, for the most part. There are no huge Sunday School programs to oversee, no children's choirs, etc.

The movie, "War Room", dealt with relationships, specifically relational troubles between human and God, and between husband and wife.  Some of you may find this strange, but before women can minister effectively in the church, regardless of that church's design, first their relationships with God, and then with their husbands (and children) must be right.
That's where we will begin.

We have a mutt dog, named Charlie. He loves to go to the park, which is allowed by city law, as long as he stays on a leash.  However, my idea of walking in the park and his idea of the same are totally different.  Charlie's path is not linear.  It is zig-zaggy, wherever his nose leads him.  He smells everything, licks most things, pees on a few things to mark his territory and, yes, usually wants to make a big...."deposit" (which I, as a dutiful citizen, then clean up).

Let's consider Romans 8:14 (NIV).

For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God.

We who are Christ-followers must allow the Holy Spirit of God to lead us.  We do not lead the Holy Spirit as Charlie wants to do at the park.

The Greek word for "are led" in Romans 8:14 is ἄγονται, , or "agontai".
The meaning or word picture is of an animal being led on a rope or bridle .... or leash.  We get an English word from this Greek word, and it is "agony".  Are you surprised?  Probably not.  Even for the transformed, redeemed soul, the human will does not want to be led.  It is an agonizing struggle. Yet, it is one we must face.

Before we can lead anyone else, we must allow ourselves to be led by God's Spirit.
Ok, so HOW do we do that?
The beautiful message of "War Room" showed us the way.  It's not "magic"; but, well, it IS supernatural.

We are led by the Holy Spirit when we can hear His voice and follow.  And, how do we hear it?  By immersing ourselves in prayer and in the Word of God daily.  (You knew that was coming, didn't you? Oh, I feel the tension in the rope.  The digging in of the heels has begun!  Beloved, I feel your agony because I resisted for over 50 years.)  This is where the battle begins, where leadership begins. If this is not right, none of the rest will be right.  This holy relationship is the foundation for all Christian leadership.  To lead well, we must first follow.

"Lord, I want to learn how to follow the leading of the Holy Spirit. I know that You sent Him to be a Leader and a Guide for my life, so today I open my heart to Him. I ask You to help me learn to recognize the Holy Spirit’s voice and to know what He is leading me to do. With all my heart, I request that You help me become sensitive to Him so that He can lead me in all the paths You have designed for my life".1  In Jesus' name, amen.

Source:
1 http://www.renner.org/holy-spirit/learning-to-follow-the-leader/
2 http://biblehub.com/text/romans/8-14.htm



1 comment: