Monday, June 8, 2015

Calling

Good morning,

A couple of nights ago I hosted what I refer to as a "hen party".  On such occasions, as the only chick in the chicken house, I warn all the roosters of impending invasion.  They make their own plans of escape, lol.  In this context, one of my guests gave me occasion to exercise humility and give testimony to how others poured into my life --- the grace of God.  She and I had previously worked together.  In talking about those days she mentioned a principle that guides her leadership style today and credited me with teaching it to her.  Part of the calling God has laid on my life has been to exercise the spiritual gift of leadership.  Straight up, I have not been a spotless example, but it has been a joy to fulfill that calling and to continue to do so.  At nearly 57, I'm still growing in that calling.

Today's text is Joshua 1:1-9, which shows us God calling Joshua as Moses' successor.

 After the death of Moses the servant of the Lord, the Lord said to Joshua son of Nun, Moses’ aide: “Moses my servant is dead. Now then, you and all these people, get ready to cross the Jordan River into the land I am about to give to them—to the Israelites. I will give you every place where you set your foot, as I promised Moses. Your territory will extend from the desert to Lebanon, and from the great river, the Euphrates—all the Hittite country—to the Mediterranean Sea in the west. No one will be able to stand against you all the days of your life. As I was with Moses, so I will be with you; I will never leave you nor forsake you. Be strong and courageous, because you will lead these people to inherit the land I swore to their ancestors to give them.
“Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the law my servant Moses gave you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go. Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid;do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”
1.  The first thing we need to see here is that God called Joshua to this task (vs. 1 - - "You and all these people..").  He has uniquely gifted each of us; part of the mystery and wonder of the Christian life is to discover those gifts.  Here's another personal example.  He has given me the spiritual gift of hospitality, not a gift I had in the unregenerate phase of my life.  As a young unbeliever and in my early years as a Christian, I was not hospitable or gracious.  This is a gift of the Holy Spirit, and He is developing it in my life for His glory and for the furtherance of His kingdom.  This is a characteristic of all spiritual gifts: they are not given for the enjoyment of the believer, although properly identified we can enjoy exercising them.  Always, they are given in order to equip each believer to serve the Lord his or her God, Jesus Christ in the tasks to which they are called.
Okay, back to Joshua - - when the time came for God to use him in this way, called to this task, Joshua had prepared.  He was ready.  For many years he had the privilege of observing Moses and his leadership style.  Furthermore, he had gained experience leading various espionage and military operations. Mostly, I believe, he had learned to take God at His word, as this is evident in his response to God's call.

2.  God gave Joshua a specific task, some would call it a "vision".  Sometimes God does this to reveal to us the gifts of the Holy Spirit which we have been given.  Sometimes we do not know we possess these specific gifts until we step out in obedience to a specific task to which we are called.  My pastor has said, "If a dream is not too big for you to do on your own, God is not in it."  God calls us to tasks larger than ourselves, so that we can accomplish them by His power and for His glory.  Such was the case here, with Joshua.

3.  (vs. 5)  The abiding presence of God is with the believer.  He promised to be with Joshua as he went about his task and not only that, He promised to never leave nor forsake him.  This is an extremely important promise to remember because in trying to obediently carry out God's will we certainly WILL become discouraged.  That is because immediately Satan begins to oppose our efforts.  It's "Game On!"  I've heard this referred to as "the implementation dip" or when implementing a new thing "things will get worse before they get better"! Many, many of us give up, abandon our calling, when the going gets tough.  It's so easy to respond, "Well, I guess that I misheard God.  I guess God is not really in this."  And, we set ourselves "on the shelf".

4.  (vs. 6)  This tendency is why God exhorted Joshua to "be strong and courageous" and reiterated that command again in vs. 7 and yet a third time (!) in vs. 9..."be strong and VERY courageous!"
One of the things I love about meditating on the Word and writing this blog is that there is no shortage of things to share with you.  Honestly, it is beautiful when God uses circumstances in my life to cause me to meditate on scriptural truths and then to share them with you.  Such a blessing! The comments at the hen party were one such occasion and yesterday in Sunday School was another. We happened to be studying .... (bwahahahaha!) "leadership".  The teacher asked this question: "What do you think are the qualities of a leader?"  Several great attributes were mentioned.  The one that kept resonating in my mind, though, was "courage" - - - courage to do the right thing.
God the Father knew that He was calling Joshua to a difficult task, asking him to assume leadership over the Hebrew people.  Joshua had seen the difficulties Moses had encountered in leading them.
Perhaps God saw the fear and trepidation in Joshua's heart when he was called.  Perhaps that is why God emphasized the traits of strength and courage.  We don't know.  However, we DO know that Joshua willingly accepted the calling God gave to him.

5.  Finally, in verse 7, God gives Joshua another crucial mandate for his success in his calling:  obey the Law and the voice of God.  As New Testament believers, we are free from the slavish obedience to the Law of Moses.  As Paul put it, we are "under the law of grace".  However, grace is not a license to practice sin.  As we fulfill our calling, we must walk resplendent by walking in integrity. Our "law" is the example set forth by our Savior, Jesus.  We are to be imitators of Christ, as we walk in faith, fulfilling our callings.

Some of you are discouraged in your calling for a variety of reasons.  As circumstances in your life have changed, you believe that your spiritual gifts have withered or died.  Here's an example:  the area of service changes or even disappears.  That does not mean the gift has perished, just because the setting has changed.  Look for new ways to exercise your God-given spiritual gifts.  These situations and/or new applications can serve to strengthen your gifts for the glory of God!  Listen to Him in prayer and you will discover Him calling you to some new application of them.  If you have gotten stuck in the implementation dip, get back into the groove!  Let God renew you and recharge your batteries. Then, be strong and very courageous, in the miraculous strength only He can give.  He will be with you!

Lord God, I thank you that you are like a well of delicious water in a dry and thirsty land.  When we become "parched" in our service, you are waiting to refresh and renew us.  Remind us, precious Father, of our calling.  Gently lead us and remind us of your omnipresence in our hearts, whether we "feel" that our not.  We can depend upon Your promise because You cannot be untrue to Your own impeccable, perfect character.  Thank you for making each of us, Your children, uniquely gifted. And, I am so grateful for those saints You have brought into my life - - - to teach, prepare, mentor and encourage me in Your service.  What a glorious life is that of the follower of Jesus Christ!  In His name I pray, amen.

2 comments:

  1. This is such a good word, Gena! I love the story of Joshua and find it interesting the Lord told him 3 times to have courage. I understand this all too well because stepping out in faith is scary!

    The heart of your post, to me, is this: "Always, they are given in order to equip each believer to serve the Lord his or her God, Jesus Christ in the tasks to which they are called." That's the only reason a person is gifted. I shake my head when I meet a person who constantly tells of all the things THEY had done, when it was really God who allowed them to come alongside Him in what HE was doing.

    Also, I'd never heard of the implementation dip before but what an apt description! I've also heard that when things start getting worse, look - out, a breakthrough is coming! IF we don't give up.

    Thanks for sharing at The Loft!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joshua is such a magnificent example of one who followed His calling. There are so many things to learn from his life. He was called, faithful, humble, available, willing, and so much more. Thank you for reminding us that when God gifts and calls, He will enable us to do the work He has designed for us. So glad you joined us this week at The Loft.

    ReplyDelete