Saturday, April 11, 2015

Brothers and Sisters

Good morning!

A new-ish phenomenon was blowing up social media yesterday:  National Siblings Day.  Practically everyone, even "only children" were posting about it. Most people were posting pictures of themselves with their siblings. I also jumped on the bandwagon.  It was fun.

The Bible speaks a great deal about brothers and sisters, actually, far more than I can adequately reflect on in this post.

Let's start with a few questions.  What does it mean to be a sibling?  Is it only a matter of genetics, of blood?  The Lord had human siblings:  what could that have possibly been like?

It is interesting to read (and not read) about Jesus' siblings.  We know that the leader of the early Jerusalem church was Jesus' half-brother, James, who also wrote the book of James in the New Testament.  Matthew 13:55-56 references four brothers (James, Joseph, Simon and Judas) as well as sisters of an indeterminate number.  So, although Mary conceived Jesus by the overshadowing of God's spirit, she and Joseph went on to have several biological children.  What must that have been like ... to have Jesus as a "big brother"?

I wonder how many of Jesus' siblings came to worship Him at some point during their lives.  I wonder if some had the reaction of others in the hometown of Nazareth - - - the "familiarity breeds contempt" reaction described in Matthew 13.  Since His siblings are mentioned several times in Scripture, we know that they were aware of His ministry.  But, only James figures prominently in the New Testament.  We find him mentioned in Galatians 1:19-20.

18 Then after three years I went up to Jerusalem to see Peter, and remained with him fifteen days. 19 But I saw none of the other apostles except James, the Lord’s brother.20 (Now concerning the things which I write to you, indeed, before God, I do not lie.)

We don't hear much about James the Just (as he was often called) during Jesus' earthly ministry. John 7:5 plainly tells us that, during the last three years before His death, "not even His brothers were believing in Him..."  They thought He was a little crazy.  However, after Jesus' death, burial and resurrection, James became a stalwart of the Jerusalem church.  We also can read in Acts 1:14 that Jesus' mother and siblings (at least some of them) were gathered with the disciples in the upper room, praying.  (This was after Jesus' ascension to Heaven.) I reckon it's one thing to have your half-brother tell you He is the King of the Universe; but, when He rises from the dead that can change one's mind.... History tells us that this same James was stoned to death by the Pharisees because of his worship of Jesus and his increasing influence over the people to convert to Christianity.

Here's what amazes me, though.  We know that Jesus is the Son of God.  This title is a Messianic title which connotes equality, unity with God the Father.  Yet, in Matthew 12:48-50, He calls His disciples, His followers "brothers and sisters".  Look!

48-50 Jesus didn’t respond directly, but said, “Who do you think my mother and brothers are?” He then stretched out his hand toward his disciples. “Look closely. These are my mother and brothers. Obedience is thicker than blood. The person who obeys my heavenly Father’s will is my brother and sister and mother.”
(The Message version)

The other night the college kids were in our home for Bible study and we were watching session 8 of The Truth Project.  Del Tackett, the moderator/teacher in the series, drew a circle.  In the circle, he put Father, Son, and Holy Spirit as smaller circles.  Then, in the Holy Spirit circle, he put "us".  That was mind-blowing to me.  The teaching is not that we who worship Jesus as God ARE Persons of the Holy Trinity.  Rather, the teaching is that which Jesus prayed in the Garden of Gethsemane, recorded in John 17:20-23.

20 “I do not ask for these only, but also for those who will believe in me through their word, 21 that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me. 22 The glory that you have given me I have given to them, that they may be one even as we are one, 23 I in them and you in me, that they may become perfectly one, so that the world may know that you sent me and loved them even as you loved me.

Oh! Marvel!  God the Father in Jesus Christ.  Jesus Christ in God the Father.  Us in Them, through the Holy Spirit.  So, okay, if that doesn't totally blow your mind, re-read the last part of verse 23. Jesus Christ is declaring that Father loves us in the same way He loves His Son.  I.Cannot.Even.

So, yeah, National Sibling Day was fun.  It is a blessing to have wonderful siblings, as I do, and even terrific brothers and sisters-in-law.  But, oh, the wonder of having Jesus Christ as my spiritual brother!

You may not have siblings.  You may be estranged from your siblings.  Your earthly bloodlines may be "lowly".  Like me, you may have descended from earthly peasants, as opposed to earthly kings. Jesus did not disparage or disdain fleshly blood-relations.  He merely pointed out that far greater and more important are spiritual relationships.  Regardless of your other earthly relationships, you can have Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the Creator of All That Is, The Very God of Very God...as your brother.

"How is this even possible?", you ask.  With us humans, through our own power or efforts, it is impossible.  But, "nothing is impossible with God." (Luke 1:37 - - not even a virgin to conceive and give birth to the Savior!) The answer is that we must be born into God's family by His Holy Spirit.  It is the Holy Spirit Who causes us to be re-born, and to eternally become a member of the Family of God.  Jesus said, "Ask and you will receive.  Seek and you will find.  Knock and the door will be opened to you."  (Matthew 7:7)

It is that simple.  Ask Him to forgive you, wash you, receive you, restore you.  Accept His finished work on your behalf.  Receive Him as Your Forever Savior.  Follow Him, from this day forward. This is the New Birth.  This is Salvation.  This is Grace.

Father God, I just don't know... I can't understand Your incredible love for me.  It really doesn't make a whole lot of sense, in the human way of thinking.  So, rather than trying harder to understand it, I'm just going to try to be more grateful for it, for Your love and grace.  Such love makes me want to be quicker to confess my daily sins, to long for quicker daily restoration/fellowship with you. Your love compels me to greater surrender to Your will for me, to increased obedience to the urgings of Your Spirit.  Only Your mercy, grace and love lead to the resplendent walk.  In Jesus' name, amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment