Thursday, January 1, 2015

Don't Forget!

Good morning!

Today is New Year's Day.  As soon as I got up, I went to look for the boys' vehicles - - - to see that they made it home ok.  (Two vehicles!  Oh, thank you, Jesus!)  I started the coffee, put the beans on to cook in one crockpot, and the pork roast to cook in the other.  Now it's time to jump into God's word.

"Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all His benefits!"  
Psalm 103:2

A lot of folks contemplate resolutions on this day, but I look back over the previous year and reflect on what God has done in my life.  Mostly, my overwhelming emotion is thankfulness.

Last night on Facebook, there was a picture/post by my neighbor, sitting there, writing out his blessings from 2014.  How inspiring...and convicting!  I will freely confess that I am not thankful enough for my blessings, because often I lose my perspective.  At those times, my faith dribbles away to a trickle.

Perspective and an attitude of gratitude go hand-in-hand.  When I find myself ungrateful, it is because my outlook is skewed.

What are blessings from God, anyway?  I mentioned this in a previous post, because the word "blessed" is so overused.  Is a blessing some "good thing" that happens to you?  What about "bad things" - - - are they blessings?  When God seems to give us what we want, is that a blessing?  When we experience calamity, is THAT a blessing?!

I know that this year has been very hard for some of my friends.  I have one friend who lost both her mother and her father, just a few months apart.  She was quite close to both of them, and they were a loving, godly couple.  Another friend lost her husband suddenly to a massive heart attack, and she discovered him dead.  Another friend is in the hospital right now with her very sick brother who just had a successful transplant, but now has experienced some strokes.  These types of things make us want to ask, "Is God good?!  Is He really good, ALL the time?!"  Blessings?

When I think of blessings, I think of that verse which is very true, but doesn't erase our pain in the middle of a tragedy.  The NIV states Romans 8:28 like this - - -

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

"Caution, Will Robinson!"  This promise is made to Christ-followers ("those who love Him"), not to everyone in general.  It is a promise to the child of God.  But, if Jesus is your Savior, you can take comfort in this verse --- that He does not allow anything to touch you that is going to work against you.  We learn in the next verse, Romans 8:29, that He is interested in your welfare, but not necessarily in your continual happiness.

For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters.

God's earnest desire for our remaining days here on earth, Believer, is for us to become more and more like His Son.  The word "conform" is not always a pleasant word.  It provokes a visual image for me of pouring ceramic "slip", as it is called, into a perfect mold.  After a time, the mold can be removed, and what is left?  A replica of the mold itself.  In fact, you could replace "conformed" in Romans 8:29 with "molded".

The thing is - - - in order for God to get this result in each of our lives, we must endure troubles, trials, tribulations.  Nowhere in the Bible is it stated that the Christian will be exempt from these. Instead, we are told to expect them!  Paul told Timothy in 2 Timothy 2:3 - - -

"Join with me in suffering, like a good soldier of Jesus Christ."

No, God's blessings are not measured by our circumstances.  Troubles and suffering will come to even the "good soldiers" of the cross!  Regardless of our current condition, though, we can be assured of His love, His mercy, His blessing.

Let whoever is wise pay attention to these things and consider the LORD's acts of faithful love.
Psalm 107:43

Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever.
Psalm 118:1

So, today, let's list our blessings - - - like the song says, "count them one by one".  Happy New Year!

Dear Father, You gave me life's greatest blessing when You gave me Your Son, Jesus, as my Savior. Everything else falls away and crumbles to dust in comparison to Your greatest gift!  Because I am His and He is mine, I am blessed beyond measure.  "Thank you" does not even begin to cover it. Please forgive me for those times when I question your goodness.  It is a sin that I need to confess often.  I foolishly think that things should go "just so" and be "just so", and often they aren't.  Please help me to more easily flex and flow with Your will, instead of freaking out and diving headlong into despair.  Please give me perspective and the spiritual discipline to trust You and to continually thank You for your many blessings...on this new day, and in this new year.  In Jesus' name, amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment