Friday, December 19, 2014

Advent, Day 20: Promises, Promises

Good pre-5:00 a.m. morning,

When I first started this blog my mother opined that I should not be writing it at 3:00 a.m.  I replied that I wasn't, but that the time stamp the blog setting applies is whacked.  However, this morning, my writing is affected by my infrequent (but currently present) insomnia.  I had wanted more time to dig into the passage introduced yesterday.  Well, I got my wish....sigh!  Maybe an afternoon nap will be in my future.  Enough of my pre-dawn ramblings.  Let's look again at the two women in Luke 1:41-48 - - - Elizabeth and Mary.

...and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit.42In a loud voice she exclaimed: “Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the child you will bear! 43But why am I so favored, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? 44As soon as the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy. 45Blessed is she who has believed that the Lord would fulfill his promises to her!”
Mary’s Song
46And Mary said:
“My soul glorifies the Lord
47and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
48for he has been mindful
of the humble state of his servant.
From now on all generations will call me blessed,
49for the Mighty One has done great things for me—
holy is his name.

Both of them claimed to be "blessed by God".  What does that mean, in their contexts, and in ours?

"Blessed", bless, "bless it", "bless you" - - - even that old Southern staple "Bless her heart!"  These are, for the most part so overused they have moved into the realm of meaninglessness.  In fact, the New York Times wrote an article last May, proclaiming that the hashtag #blessed had gone viral on social media!

When Luke interviewed Elizabeth for his gospel, she reported to him that she had called Mary "blessed" (vs. 42).  This particular form of the Greek word used for "blessed" here is "eulogemene", which means "to be well-spoken of by another".  The dictionary defines "blessed" as "divinely favored" or "consecrated".  "Consecrated" means "designated for a holy purpose".

So, Elizabeth and Mary were both proclaiming that God had favored them by fulfilling His holy purposes through them.  They were both ordinary women of the day who loved God.  They were not rich or prominent.  They were typical, godly Jewish women - - - one in middle age or later, and the other in her early teens.

Do you realize that, if you are a Christian, a disciple of Jesus Christ, then you too are blessed?

"But I don't feel blessed", you say.

Sometimes, our feelings or our circumstances can lead us into unbelief, error...a pit.  Let's look at the truth, presented in Scripture.

  • We are blessed with salvation through Jesus Christ.
  • We are blessed with the indwelling in our hearts of the Holy Spirit.
  • We are blessed with purpose, God's calling to each of us, according to the unique spiritual gifts and talents He has given us. "Consecration"
  • We are blessed with everything we need.  (I didn't say "want"; God is not Santa Claus.)
  • We are blessed with the many promises of God.  

Elizabeth made the following statement to Mary:
"Blessed is she who has believed the Lord would fulfill His promises to her." (vs. 45)

Listen to this powerful truth:  the promises of God transcend current circumstances and feelings.
Faith.  Belief.  Trust.  Rest.  Do you struggle with believing the promises of God?  Do you really believe that He is good....all the time?  Do you believe that He is at work behind the scenes, even when you can't see it?

And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.
Romans 8:28 (NASB)
Oh Blessed One!  Oh Child, consecrated, "called according to His purpose"!
Maybe, like me, you need to remind yourself of God's precious promises to you.  Here is a link that may bring you comfort today.  Go here and read about just a few of His many precious promises to His children.

http://www.intouch.org/you/article-archive/content/topic/god_s_precious_promises_article#.VJQIH8AAJA

Let's agree together this morning, this day, that our God is greater than all our blind stumbling around in the dark, our frantic groping for peace in the midst of severe pain.  Let's affirm that He will be faithful - - - that He who called you out of the pit of sin and eternal damnation LOVES YOU and WILL keep His promises to you.  Let's hold on with everything we've got to the beautiful truth - - - that He does not change.  His word is eternal.

Darlin's - - - we don't have to "feel it" to believe it!

Ah Lord God!  I declare that You are the Most High, the God of Angel Armies, and that what you promise, you will do.  Just as you fulfilled Your promise of a Messiah, prophesied in Genesis, through Isaiah, Micah, Zechariah and elsewhere, you will fulfill your promises to Your children. Your unfailing love is better than life itself; how I will praise You! (Psalm 63:3)  In Jesus' name, that Name which is above every name, that Name at which every knee will eventually bow, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment