Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Showing Off and Embracing a Snake

Good morning!

Sometimes, we just get too comfortable with ourselves.  The apostle Paul warned us about this tendency.  On the one hand, he stated, "I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am." (Philippians 4:11 NASB)  On the other hand, he said, "...reaching out for the things that are ahead, I strive toward the prize of the upward call of God, in Christ Jesus". (Philippians 3:14) Both principles are crucial to the vibrant, resplendent Christian life.  Neither connotes complacency.

Yet, in Isaiah 39, we find an interesting clue as to how the mighty Babylonian Empire took note of the little land of Judah.

In chapter 39 King Hezekiah is not only content; he is complacent.  Here he sits, all fat and sassy with wealth, peace and ease.  Along comes a "diplomatic corps" (pronounced "core", not "corpse", by the way) from the king of Babylon.  They bring him gifts and stroke his ego.  In return, Hezekiah throws open the doors of the palace and showed them all the wealth of his kingdom.  He embraces the snake.

It is one thing to rest secure in the promises of God; it is quite another to tempt the Devil.

Isaiah sees these foreigners and asks Hezekiah "what the what"?  When the king replies that he had "shown them the works", Isaiah delivers a prophetic warning.  Verses 5-7 from The Message version:

Then  Isaiah said to Hezekiah, "Now listen to this Message from God-of-the-Angel-Armies:  I have to warn you - - - the time is coming when everything in this palace, along with everything your ancestors accumulated before you, will be hauled off to Babylon.  GOD says that there will be nothing left.  Nothing.  And not only your things but your sons.  Some of your sons will be taken into exile, ending up as eunuchs in the palace of the king of Babylon."

Now, if I had received a message like that, I'd have fallen on my face before God and cried out to Him to change His mind, right?  (At least, in my carnal pride I think I would have done that....)

Look at Hezekiah's reaction in verse 8:

"Hezekiah replied to Isaiah, "Good.  If GOD says so, it's good."  Within himself he was thinking, 'But surely nothing bad will happen in my lifetime.  I'll enjoy peace and stability as long as I live."

Hezekiah was badly mistaken.  This prophecy came true about 150 years later.  Hezekiah's "sons", his descendants, were carried away to Babylon and according to Daniel 1:3, pressed into service in the king's household.

This hit me right between the eyes this morning, Y'all.  As I think back on my life, and even right now, I am guilty of this attitude.  It goes beyond trust in God to a complacent lack of vigilance.
We are commanded to ever be watchful of Satan's snares in our path, as we walk this walk. (2 Cor. 2:11)

Do you think that your children are "safe" from the Destroyer?  Your health?  Your possessions? Your country?  Do you rest secure in the fact that you've taken your family to church - - - they'll be allright!  Do you excuse your poor health habits thinking, "It'll be allright...."  Don't be deceived!

Let's claim the promises of God, but simultaneously walk in a watchful, warrior-like attitude toward evil.  God forbid that we open our arms and welcome it into our lives as Hezekiah did.

I know that I speak of war here a lot, probably more than you like.  But, it is something that the Church of Jesus Christ in America must grab hold of.  We are in a spiritual war.  To do nothing (or fling wide our arms to the serpent) is to give away valuable ground to the Enemy.  Please search your heart and pray with me today that God will show us all where He wants us to engage in the battle.

Ah Father, forgive me for my complacence.  It is so rotten and stinking before You.  Under the guise of piety, ran a deep, deep current of spiritual arrogance, fortified by prayerlessness.  And, I see the rewards of this in my life today; I am living with the consequences.  Thank you for your bountiful forgiveness!  As for the consequences of my lackadaisicalness....please fill me with your Holy Spirit and guide me as I re-engage in the fight today.  Please restore the ground the Enemy has taken! Please repair the breaches, return the captives.  Please show Yourself mighty and bring all the glory to Your holy Name!  In the triumphant name of Jesus I pray, amen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment