Saturday, August 16, 2014

Doing the Difficult

Good morning!

Division and multiplication, subtraction and addition.....math.  I'm not very good at it.  As the adult in my household who writes out the bills and manages the assets, I do a competent job of that task, but there my expertise ends.  I've never wanted to have responsibility for other people's money and yet, here I find myself the treasurer of a local organization, the esteemed education sorority to which I belong.  This is one of those invitations I may should have not have said "yes" to, although that ship has sailed.

This morning (early!) I must "sail" off to Macon, for training.  I need it.   I am not confident in my own abilities. My pastor said recently, and it keeps coming back to me, that if a task you are given is not a God-sized task, if you can accomplish the task in your own strength, then it probably is not from Him.  God intends for us to rely on Him and through all of our tasks to give Him the glory.  This assignment of treasurer of the organization certainly qualifies.

I was reading in the Scriptures this morning about folks who are in charge of money, and there aren't many good role models for this task.  The Levites, in the Old Testament hierarchy, were in charge of the ecclesiastical funds.  Judas Iscariot, the disciple who betrayed Jesus to the Jewish religious leaders and to the Romans is the other.  Not a happy ending, for sure.

I am encouraged, though, by Proverbs 9:10 - -
"The fear of the Lord is the foundation of wisdom; knowledge of the Holy One results in good judgment."  I'm depending on that, and a lot of prayer, to see me through.  
And, I pray that my end in this matter does not resemble Proverbs 17:16 - - 
"It is senseless to pay tuition to educate a fool, since (s)he has no heart for learning"!!
Or, Proverbs 20:25 - - 
"An impulsive vow is a trap; later you'll wish you could get out of it."   !!

The Lord desires that we call on Him and lean on Him in all things.  Amen to that!

Lord, you KNOW that today's task is way outside my comfort zone.  Fill me with your Holy Spirit and enlighten my mind to understand what You have for me to learn today, about being a good and faithful steward of this organization's money.  Lord, just typing those words makes me cringe.  I am depending on You to see me through.  Please give me a clear head and listening ears, to learn what I must today, so that in this, as in all things, You will receive the glory.  In Jesus' name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment