Monday, August 4, 2014

A Clean, Blank Page

Good morning!

Lamentations 3:22-23  "Because of the Lord's faithful love, we do not perish, for His mercies never end.  They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness!" (Holman Christian Standard version)

Psalm 103:17  "But from everlasting to everlasting the LORD's love is with those who fear Him, and His righteousness with their children's children --" (NIV)

I walked outside this morning to get the paper and just smell the beauty of the morning.  My husband has gone to the weekly men's breakfast with his Sunday School friends.  My sons are off, "doing their thing".  It is a beautiful day!

In our "neck of the woods", the public schools resume today.  I am a former public school teacher and administrator.  The first day of school was always filled with such excitement...so much excitement that I could never sleep soundly the night before that first day.  My prayers have been going out to my friends who began pre-planning last week and will spend their first day with the kiddos today.  I also pray for my new retiree friends, who will feel very strange this morning.

Yesterday was a unique and wonderful blessing for me.  I was able to attend a prayer walk for one of our local schools.  Also attending were several school staff members, three of the ministers from my local church, families from our church and a minister from another local church.  What a blessed time! It made me think of how many times I wished I could have prayed aloud as a school employee, leading my people in prayer.  But, unfortunately, in this day and time, that is not a freedom we enjoy. Yesterday, though, as a private citizen, I was able to lead in prayer and read the Bible aloud in this school setting.

What did I choose to read?  When I worked for a wonderful Christian lady named Carolyn Hall, she told me that she prayed Psalm 91 over her school every morning.  That is the psalm I read yesterday, and I thanked God for Carolyn, and for His abundant mercies that are new every morning.

One of the most exciting things about a new morning and a new school year is that they represent hope. Each day presents new opportunities, new challenges, new joys and yes, sometimes new heartbreak. The Scriptures say that the Lord's mercies "are new every morning".  What does this mean?  It means that each new day, like each new school year, represents opportunities for a fresh start.

We have this hope, that God forgives and restores.  Regardless of our past, whether it was filled with tremendous victories or tremendous defeats, each day is a new day, a new opportunity to live a life filled with PRAISE!

God is faithful to His own.  Isaiah proclaims in the 59th chapter of his book, verse 1:
"Behold, the LORD's hand is not so short that it cannot save; nor is His ear so dull that it cannot hear. "

Regardless of what the new day brings, what the new school year brings, those of us who love the Lord will be upheld by His everlasting arms. We will be covered in His mercy and grace.

How many of you have ever seen a little toddler trip, fall, skin his knee and begin to cry?  Did you not pick him up, love him up, dry his tears, tenderly place a band-aid on his knee, and set him on his way again, buoyed and fortified by your love?  Yes!  That is what Father does for us!  His mercies are new every morning!

With this precious promise in our hearts, let's take this final meditation this morning to heart.  When I worked for Carolyn, our school's mascot was the eagle.  I loved that.  Look at this precious promise:
Isaiah 40:31 "But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.  They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary.  They will walk and not faint!" (NIV)

O Believer!  Whatever this day brings you....whatever this school year brings you, HE is with you, day in and day out, and every moment of every day.  Embrace this precious promise.  Feel His kiss upon your brow.  Walk resplendent today!

Good morning, Beloved Savior!  Thank you for being with us always, "even unto the end of the age" (Matthew 28:20).  Thank you for a fresh start, and that we can have one every time we come to you in confession, asking for your mercy and restoration.  Thank you that your mercies are not only new every morning, but also every moment of every day.  Your mercy is "from everlasting to everlasting", and from everlasting to everlasting You are GOD. (Ps. 90:2)  I praise You, Almighty Three-In-One!  May we clothe ourselves in hope because of Your mercies and walk resplendent!  In Jesus' name, amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment